Friday, May 23, 2008

AA Goings On...

My old AA friend, Wanda, invited me to an AA meeting with her today.  I was overjoyed at her call being very lonesome today.   They say to practice H.A.L.T in AA.  Never let yourself get too hungry, angry, lonely, and tired.  I certainly was lonely and tired, and possibly hungry when she rang.

"I've got a half a year sober," I told her as she drove her old Ford Crown Victoria towards Lagrange.

"You're amazing," she said. "I can remember when you first started going to AA and I would have never guessed you would have stayed sober for so long."

A lot of miracles happen in AA.  You see them all the time and today's meeting reminded me of why I need to go more often.  It is my only chance at socializing besides work these days.   I am so hungry for human contact of any kind.  So lonesome it is painful.

Mom bought my groceries yesterday.  There was never a more sweeter sight than when she pulled up in front of my house.  I was stir crazy I was so lonely.  Maggie was overjoyed as well. 

"I love you," I told her. "And thank you for staying awhile.  I get so tired of being alone."

She held my hand and everything was okay in my world for about an hour.  

5 comments:

mosiacmind said...

The pictures are wonderful..i truly think that you could print some and sell them. I am happy that it worked out for you to have your mom stay for awhile and then also to go to an aa meeting. i know for me if i do not follower h.a.l.t i do not do as well. i hope that you continue to share your pictures with us all. looking at your pictures is an lj in my days for sure. : )

Kelly Jene said...

Your mom is awesome. I'm glad you went to the meeting. It sounds pretty encouraging, not to mention the social time is nice.

Have a great weekend!

CJM-R said...

Moms are great. It is nice yours is near by and that you two are so close.

Glad your friend called and brought you to a meeting. Getting out helps with the lonliness.

Love the pictures.

Lena

Cheryl said...

I've been counting the days till your half-year mark, and I missed it. Not a very good friend :(
I'm so amazed and proud that you've stayed so strong.

I'd love to hear you going to more meetings. It's a great way to be around people. I wish I lived near you so I could hang out. I'm so sorry you're so lonely.

Your pictures are so amazing, btw. Your camera is much nicer than mine.

M said...

HALT..that is a great acronym. i will have to remember that.