Monday, May 12, 2008

.:Strange Calls Near Midnight...

It was 11 PM when I received the call.  Then the pleading began.  I was cozy in the bed with Maggie.  I was curled up reading an old Astronomy magazine -- drooling over the Meade telescopes for sale on the back page.  I was so comfortable.  The phone rang and rang, and I ignored it at first.  It rang again and I laboriously lifted myself out of bed to answer.  I thought something bad had happened in my family.  Who would be calling so late? 

"Can I borrow your car tomorrow?" Rosa asked hurriedly without the usual pleasantries.

"What's wrong with your car?" I asked. 

"The batteries dead and I need to get to work," She replied.

Strange....

I said no.  After my car got stolen, I have been very protective of it.  I often go and look outside to see if it is still there. 

"I'll take you to work tomorrow," I said.  "What time?"

"Don't worry about it," Rosa replied. "I'll ask my uncle if I can borrow his truck."

Okay.  We hung up the phone and I lay in the bed for the longest time thinking about what just occurred.  It was totally strange for Rosa to ask to use my car.  It makes me worry she is using again and has pawned the title to her car.  What tangled webs we weave....   I am probably worrying for naught, though.  

13 comments:

justLacey said...

Rosa wanted the borrow the car of the guy that needs to get a job and out from under his parents? Hmmm, interesting how things work out sometimes. If she turned down the ride, that makes me wonder as well. You're doing alright. Sometimes knowing your immediate limitations is beneficial.

justLacey said...

Just read your meatloaf twitter. Have you ever tried grilling slices of it in a pan with butter and making a sandwich with some mayo? Oh it's so good. My friend used to make it for me for lunch when we were in hight school.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I hope not, but I do have to agree that it is rather strange for that late of a night phone call.
Hugs of support!
Always,
Elizabeth

mosiacmind said...

I hope that Rosa is not using but it reminds me of phone calls that I used to get from a friend...and I am glad that you said no to borrowing but also you said you would drive her so it kind of does sound ify on what she wanted to use the car for. I hope that you are able to not obsess about Rosa and I know it is easier than done. If you do find yourself thinking about it I hope that you find thinking about how GREAT you are taking care of yourself these days...

Sharyna said...

Rosa made it clear what she wanted from you. She is no longer your problem.

sharyna

Jenn said...

You were right not ot offer her the car. If she really needed a ride, she would have accepted your offer. It's a smart idea to protect your car.

mosiacmind said...

if you are up to it later on let us blogger buddies know how you are feeling....and remember we care for you and you are my friend on bad days and happy days..crappy days and the alright ones........all days..............

M said...

hm...sounds like you don't trust rosa deep in your heart. i don't blame you. it is hard for drug addicts to stop using and hard for them to earn the trust of friends and family.

Leann said...

Odd

Anonymous Boxer said...

often our intuition is right. If you think it was odd, then it's odd.

You did the right thing and your offer to pick her up was truly sweet.

justLacey said...

I know the anxiety attacks are scary, but if you don't go out they will begin to take over your life. If you have one when you are out you can sit in your car or return home. The biggest thing is not hiding them. That just ads to the anxiety and sometimes a friend or family member can help you through it. Could it be one of your medications causing them, have you spoken to your dr.?

SOUL: said...

trusting your instincts is a good thing.. even if she has a dead battery-- don't feel bad for protecting your car-- it is yours , you've got every right to keep it in your sight. once bitten twice shy.. it's ok.
have a great day eh?
laterz.

Cheryl said...

Sounds like you handled it just right. Still, now it's left you wondering what's up with her. I hope you find out.

Happy Tuesday!