Monday, May 26, 2008

Of Pancakes and Chicken Plates...

I had two tickets to a local church's Memorial Day barbeque chicken dinner.  I brought the plates home and me and Maggie devoured them.   They were so delicious!

This morning was a pancake breakfast at the AA meeting hall.  I wasn't going to go, but Wanda enticed me into going with her.

"Quit being so anti-social," she said. "You will have a good time!"

There was a speaker's meeting after breakfast and we both stayed and listened to a wonderful speaker. 

"I was always drunk on planes," the businessman said.  "There were times I don't even remember flying and getting to another city.  How's that for scary?"

We all do crazy things when drinking irresponsibly.  I broke my shoulder and arm on a drunken motorcycle ride to go argue with my ex-wife.  I don't remember the ride all the way from home to up by that old cotton mill. I was in a blackout.   I came to laying in the grass with my helmet still on.  It was sleeting and a policeman was standing over me.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm drunk!" I blurted out.

He took me on to county jail to spend the next two days in pain.  It took a lot of physical therapy to get my arm and shoulder back in shape.  I still have little strength in it and can't even clip my fingernails with that hand.  I have to get Dad or Mom to do it.  

7 comments:

STACY'S TRIP said...

I like the promises being on the side here. Thanks.....I am a total NA freak. I totally have to go to meetings and work my steps and talk to my sponsor OR even I fall completely apart (and that is without a mental illness) SO I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU ANDREW!

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

your surveys are interesting - while I've heard a few new artists on blogs - I just can't read with music on so I always have to scroll down to shut it off!

justLacey said...

I'm glad you are out and about today. I think it's a good tihng. I know sometimes I used to be home alone so much and would be so depressed. Then I would get out and come home and feel much better. I love the pancake breakfast idea. Do they have many of them? I bet Maggie enjoyed her chicken.

Moonroot said...

A friend in recovery was explaining the 12 steps to me at the weekend so it's interesting to read the piece on your sidebar.
Hope you had a good weekend!

mosiacmind said...

i know that when i used i did some really stupid choices. i did not get arrested ever but for sure i could have been. i know i have heard of a few folks who end up in jail and were hurt and did not get medical treatment right away. that is so nice of your dad and charles for moving joyce's lawn and yours also!

Portia said...

You have certainly come a long way. Sounds like some good food and company today. Hope it's a good evening too:)

simpleyesa said...

oh,that'so uncool.hehe.When drunk, I usually passed out and sleep 24hours.LOL