Sunday, May 18, 2008

Transitions...

"The Homeless Guy" is having trouble transitioning to a homed life.  I know the feeling and can understand.  When I first got my apartment over at my late grandmother's house, I slept on the floor in my sleeping bag.  The mattress was just too soft and springy.  I would find myself spending the next two years camping out a lot out-of-doors.  Only feeling comfortable in wide open spaces inside my tent often in my very own backyard.  It took a long time to break this habit.  Long time.  The trouble is that there are no transitional services.  You are thrown into a home and expected to be grateful and joyful.   When reality says this is uncomfortable or unnatural.   So, I know how he is feeling.  He is at the point of no return with no help.   Let's hope he can soldier on through it.

Most people think that housing the homeless is the answer.  Certainly, it is a means to an end, but often times not so easy.  The person has to be rehabilitated back to homed life.  Everyday tasks once provided for the person must now be taught.  Simple tasks such as feeding yourself after years of being fed in soup kitchens.  Learning to sleep without others around is also so key.  There is no more sharp pain of loneliness than that of being homed after spending years amidst your countless homeless peers in shelters.  The silence can be deafening.   

15 comments:

justLacey said...

I think transitioning is hard for most people. It must have been a transition at some time to become homeless. I think he will be ok. Look how far you have come.

mosiacmind said...

I am so happy for you that you got to spend some time with your Mom today. I spent time with my Mom like I do on Sundays. We had a nice lunch at Olive Garden..my favorite things are the soup and salad and it is a great buy too! We drove around for a bit and then stopped at a shopping mall just stayed in the car and people watched. Times with Moms can be so comforting at times.

ac said...

I'm with you on the hoping the homeless guy can make this transition. I join you in wishing the best for him. ac

Upsy-Downsy said...

Yes, Maggie might have a bladder infection. If she continues to have little wetting accidents on the floor and appears to be shaking/shivering...those are possible signs. The shivering is because she is in pain.

SOUL: said...

i just came through to say good morning and see how you are doing.
you sound pretty good lately. doing things with your mom.. i like that.
hope you're busy and feeling good--
catchat later-

Jenn said...

That is a very interesting point. One I had never considered.

Manifesting Mini Me (MMM) said...

Andrew, I think you have identified a great need. Have you ever considered a blog devoted towards transitional support? With your insight and background, it seems it would be a valuable service.

Kelly Jene said...

MMM has a great point. Maybe writing an article for a magazine or newspaper might open some people's eyes.

Congrats on 180 days!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Very very interesting perspective-something I'd never have thought of. But you are right, it makes absolute sense! Change is so challenging, so very challenging.

Thank you for this reminder, Andrew!!! :)
Have a good Monday!
Sincerely,
Elizabeth

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

You state in your "Twitter" comment that "[You] never write of substance on my blog. It is all relationships and fluff".

If I may ask, what does Hemingway write about? What does Faulkner? Vonnegut? It is all about relationships. Relationships are all we have in life. Life is simply a march towards death without relationships.

Good or bad, relationships are all we have that is unique. Now, the hard part is to write about the relationships in a way that gives others insight. I think you do that well.

Of course, you could still intersperse writings of fiction if you wish and find it enjoyable to write about also.

PipeTobacco

ac said...

I don't think your writing is fluff. (And I'm picky!) No writing that contains the amount of honesty you put into yours could ever be considered fluff. You are a way better writer than you think you are.

mosiacmind said...

I agree with the others about you writing a article or two about what you wrote about. I know I have heard lots about what you wrote...when our church started helping some of the homelss housing was oftn times very low on the list. I have heard about a bit different but kind of the same in that it is often said that when prisoners get out it is hard for them to deal with so many choices and how they will walk near a wall like they used to have to do so and meals were given there times a day and such.
Oh and by the way I think times like what your post is about hsa god content and you have LOTS of great stuff to share with us blogger buddies. I also wanted to say thanks for being a friend and a support person in my life and remember I care.

mosiacmind said...

OH one more thing is that i talk to gracie lots...: 0 )

Tori said...

Also, spayed female dogs, when they get older sometimes leak urine when they sleep. You didn't mention if she was wake at the time. It is actually fixed with a daily hormone pill - about 5 bucks a month with my vet.

Jbeeky said...

I never thought of that. Really good point.