Friday, May 09, 2008

.:Deep Blue with a Splash of Yellow...

Sat out on the bench behind the bustling bank this morning -- my secret place of solitude next to the train tracks.  The sky was a staggeringly beautiful azure blue interspersed with puffy white clouds.  A veritable calm amidst the storms we are experiencing.  The city skyline stretched out behind me for as long as I could see.  The grass has become so lush and green with trees of blossoms of pink and white.  In one hand was a Sprite Zero and the other a Model Railroader magazine.  All was right in my world. 

I actually enjoyed my day off yesterday, but I missed the socialization.  Johnnie Watts had requested more hours and did the deliveries.  This meant I could stay home and cook the Edward's apple pie I had in my freezer.  Although not as good as homemade, it was still very tasty.  The only thing I was missing was ice cream to accompany it.  I sent a piece of warm pie home to my mother with Dad last night.  I am sure she devoured it. 

Struggling with what to write these days.  My life has been so mind numbingly boring that I risk scaring people off by writing about it.  All my old favorite characters and haunts to write about no longer inhabit my life.  No Rosa.  No George.  Very little of Ferret and Big S. I originally started to blog cause I liked to tell the tales of the characters that inhabit my life.  Now the blog is just a regular daily journal. 

On the way back to the shopping center, I dropped the keys to the lock on my bike.  I bent over to pick them up and noticed the most minute and beautiful flowers.   Deep blue with a splash of yellow at the heart, they were growing through the deep cracks in the pavement.  Pulled one up and just stared for the longest time as I stood there. I know I looked silly to anyone driving or passing by looking at this tiny freckle-like flower, but I was undaunted.   Doing things like this just reaffirms my confidence in the world -- that good things are out there you just have to know where to look.  I could have scorned the hot, moon-like cratered pavement upon which they grew, or I could see the beauty in the little small flower that caught my attention with dazzling color.  I am going to try and hold on to this moment for the day.    

10 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Very nice post! The seeing of the small flower of beauty amongst the rough and "ugly" aspects of the pavement is a good philosophical construct.

Have you ever thought of going to see George? If you are anxious about seeing him alone, why not go over and visit on a Sunday to have dinner with he and his mom? I bet you both of them would really enjoy seeing you.

PipeTobacco

SpringMist said...

^Take your mom along as well :)

Well at leat you keep on blogging consistently. I have been falling behind on the blogging.
I still read your blog regularly!
I changed my blog name so don't get surprised :)

Kyrie from Music In The Sky.

Kelly Jene said...

While your adventures with the gang are always interested, I'm here cuz I like you. I write journal entries... nothing special about it, but thats what life is... day to day events.

Big hugs!

CJM-R said...

The comments haven't been working for me all night. I will try again.

Andrew,
I love this post. The beauty is there, but not everyone can see it. But you do. That is why I enjoy you and your blog.

God Bless
Lena

Jessica said...

Keep doing what your doing!!! You're on the right track. Life goes through stages and your just in a different stage now! :) Have a great weekend!

Tory said...

You and I have so much in common, Andrew. Sometimes I find beauty in the oddest places and it just makes me stop in my tracks and take it in for a few minutes. Those are the precious moments in life, don't you think? By the way, I loved the pics of the sweetheart roses as well, I could almost smell them!
Hugs for you and Maggie
Tory

Summer said...

Good morning Sweets..

You know that I read you every day, sometimes twice or three times. My foul mood keeps me from leaving comments lately and not just to you. I hope you know that I'm still here for you and care about you.

The flower...maybe a Johnny Jump Up?

Charlotte said...

I have found your blog once again. I have read your posts about religion in the past and know that you don't really understand how God works in our lives. But, as I read your blog, I see God everywhere. That flower today is an awesome representation of God in our lives... taking time to see the beauty of His creation. I know religion is a subject that is tough for you, but take it from someone who is a faithful follower of Christ... God is all over your blog. Look at the wonders He is doing in You and you haven't even realized it yet. God Bless you, Andrew, and I'm so glad I found your blog again!

AlabamaGal said...

I loved this entry. I am really always very happy to read anything you write. You are so descriptive and express yourself so well in words. I admire that about you.

I have often said that beauty is all around us, if we just take the time to see it.

Big hug,
M

Moonroot said...

I was going to leave a comment letting you know I like to read what you write *whatever* it's about (the flower is a case in point) - but kelly jene has already written what I wanted to say perfectly. So, yeah, what kelly jene said!