Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The First Time...

I can distinctly remember the first time I was told I was schizophrenic.   I was scared, but relieved at the same time.

"Your schizo-affective," the doctor told me as I frankly asked for my diagnosis.

I slumped down in my chair as it all sunk in.   It made sense.   I always thought I was just a terrible alcoholic and that explained the paranoia and strange thinking -- just mere drunken symptoms. 

I was on the phone this afternoon talking to Mom about our day this morning.  We had a good time together and she was so relieved I had driven her all those miles to the doctor.   I asked her what exactly was her diagnosis.

"Schizo-affective," she said which means you have symptoms of both schizophrenia and bi-polar disease. 

"It has got to be genetic," I replied.  "Your mom and your grandmother suffered as well."

"I am so sorry," my mother said heartfeltly. 

"What for?"

"For giving this to you," she said.

"You all didn't know what you know now.  You wouldn't have known I would become schizophrenic as well."

I told my mother good night after making sure she had something for supper with my father gone.  I often deeply lament and regret my station in life.  It can be all encompassing if I let it.  I take some solace in the fact that we now have effective medications.   My life would be unlivable several decades ago.  

I hear so much feedback about how I should live and how my life should be.  "Stand up to your father," was Rosa's favorite saying.  "You need to be financially independent," was another.  It was like asking an alcoholic to sit in a room full of cold and free beer.  I don't regret these days how my life has turned out.  I am lucky in so many ways.  And that makes me stand out amidst all the naysayers.   I have a full and rich life with a wonderfully supportive family.  What more can a man ask for?  Not much. 

18 comments:

Bridget said...

What I am about to write is not to diminish your issues, but rather to give you another viewpoint on them.

I read somewhere that if Albert Einstein, Sylvia Plath, Vincent Van Gogh, Emily Dickenson and Leonardo DaVinci were alive today, all of them would either be on psychotropic medication or in in-patient medical care. Einstein was classic ADHD with learning disorders. Sylvia Plath was extremely depressed. Vincent Van Gogh was schizophrenic and possibly also bipolar (and he self-medicated with alcohol and drugs). Emily Dickinson was bipolar and isolative - she never married and basically lived in her room. And DaVinci was also bipolar and (this is not a psychiatric issue, but some - not me - still think this "needs to be treated") homosexual.

What do all of these people have in common? They had mental illnesses and learning disorders. They also were some of the most creative minds our world has ever known.

Some out there believe that mental illness is not necesssarily a "negative," but a "different way of seeing our world." The trick is to manage it and get the care you need to live successfully in our world.

Tell your mom she has nothing to feel guilty about, in terms of "giving this to you." She raised a talented, sensitive son who just so happens to have some challenges (like we ALL DO).

mago said...

It's been a while since my last visit.
To answer your poll: You.

CJM-R said...

You are so grateful for all you have and you are such an inspiration to all.

It is starting to thunder here. I always think of you when it storms.

Take care.

Kelly Jene said...

Your attitude is wonderful and as it should be. You see the good in you and your life. How many people can say that.

Big hugs my friend!

amelia said...

Did you see the doctor about your anxiety attacks?

Jami said...

There is a beauty and a blessing to pain, although it's difficult to see at the time. The way I view it, you are making the most of the hand you've been dealt in life ... and you are successful because of that.

Lynette said...

I am glad you are feeling more grounded again. I can tell by your writing. I like reading you even when you don't feel like you have much to say. Keep it up.

Mo said...

As always, thank you for sharing your life with us.

You inspire.

justLacey said...

I am so proud of the fact that you didn't let your possibility of panic keep you at home. Your mom needed you and you were there for her. We have to just be grateful for all the good days I think. It's so much better than lamenting the bad (that is for me, not you). I have been trying to change my thinking and see the good in things instead of focusing on the struggles. It hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be, but I still slip a lot. Well done!

justLacey said...

Forgot to ask, what is going on with Joyce lately?

SOUL: said...

it's great to watch your attitude change-- funny how sobriety can do that do a person eh? (if ya let it)

you are doin a great job lately-- keep up the good work. you are makin your family very proud.. and it's great that let you know that.

have a great day today--

C.A. said...

That post has me beaming from ear to ear, my friend! Don't forget, you have your Blog family too. I for one, couldn't be any prouder of the great strides you've taken in the past few months. Just look at that sobriety counter!

Hugs...

C.A.

mosiacmind said...

I think everyone who posted shared things that I was thinking also. I hope that you continue to take great care of yourself. It is so so good to read about how well you are doing...........take care friend.

Tee said...

Andres, GREAT POST! You are extremely fortunate. You are a blessed man to have such a supportive family, who loves you and cares for you.

Leann said...

All I can say is Ditto what Bridgit said. I totally agree with her.

Irishcoda said...

I think you have a wonderful attitude--you really make a great batch of lemonade (you know, from that saying that if life deals you lemons, make lemonade). With all the bad stuff that has happened in my life I still think I am blessed because in spite of all that other stuff, I have wonderful children, a good man that loves me that I love, some crazy cats and a dopey but very loving dog. It all balances out.

About the poll--I would have said "all of the above", that's what keeps me coming back, it's everything you put into your blog--which, of course, is you.

shinyruby2 said...

i love your posts, and this one in particular makes me want to say THANKS.. thanks for sharing. x

Jbeeky said...

I am always so glad to hear such good things from you. You are really a wonderful observer of your own life, which is usually not the case with most people.