Friday, March 20, 2009

The First Thing I Heard This Morning...

"Baby, you've got to get this dog hair up," Helen said. "Your daddy is going to get on to you."

Keep in mind that I am 36 years old.  I just smiled, laughed, and got out the broom.

Hours later some wonderful smells were coming from my kitchen.  Helen cooked me a chicken, broccoli, and cheddar casserole and yeast biscuits.  We also had a fruit salad.  Helen ate with me at lunch which is unusual for her. 

"Economizing," she told me with a smile.

Soon, mom entered the picture.  She was on a mission.

"Go with me to the city to see about getting our mailbox paid for," she asked me over her cell phone. 

Apparently, the city trash truck hit mom and dad's mailbox toppling it over.  The city agreed to pay for a new one and that was that. 

What did mom tell me on the ride home?

"You need to shave," she told me. "You look like a homeless man."

That elicited uproarious laughter on my part. 

"Just revisiting some of my lineage," I told mom smiling.  

6 comments:

The Hyperlexian Aspie said...

sometimes i need to be told what to do also. i think psychiatric conditions don't allow a person much extra energy to take care of our physical selves and our environments.

like, we're so busy dealing with the emotional and mental stuff that we don't always remember to do the grooming and the cleaning that other people might do automatically.

somtimes i also feel like if my outer self is too fancy, it doesn't reflect my inside self properly - like i'm not showing the "real me".

just my opinion...

Andrew said...

Aspie,

I couldn't have said it better myself. You are so true!

I'm The Momma, That's Why! said...

Maybe you're just as sick of housework as I am. And maybe you didn't feel like shaving! (You going for the 'rough' look?)

It isn't always related to other problems, is it?

Trivia*** April 7 (my birthday) is shown as "No Housework Day" at 123greetings.com - - which is so appropriate!

Leann said...

It sounds like you had a lovely day Andrew.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

don't feel bad about not shaving..you have other priorities and it's just your way of relaxing. :)

Was it a long process with the mailbox issue? She sounds like she has a lucky charm following her around. :)

Happy Saturday and Sunday.

Lena said...

Isn't it nice when we reached that stage in life where a parent tells us what to do and we can just let it go in one year and out the other without anger or resentment? Makes life so much easier.