Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Celebratory Call

George called me early this morning to find out the news.

“So, is yo ass goin’ away?” George asked.

“No man, I am free,” I replied.

“Goddammit, I knew you could beat those bastards!” George exclaimed. “So when are we gonna party in celebration?”

“I promised my doctor I would only drink one or two beers a night as I browsed the internet,” I replied. “She said that was perfectly acceptable. I just can’t drink twelve or more like I used to.”

“Well, damn man,” George said. “I was hoping me and you could tie one on.”

“You can still drink,” I replied. “I will just be there in spirit.”

“Well, I am going to go get a case of Milwaukee’s Best Ice and will be over in a minute,” George said. “I am going to celebrate for you.”

I laughed.

“Okay man,” I replied. “But I am driving you home, agreed?”

“You got it brotha,” George said. “You got it. You can drive me home any day. I am just glad yo ass ain’t goin’ away.”

It is not quite 9 AM and George is coming over to get drunk in celebration of my freedom. He has far better stamina and a stronger stomach than me. I was going to miss him more than anybody if I had to go away though. Despite his flaws, he is a super guy and will really look after you. I just hope after he gets a few beers in him that he will not want to drive. I have been known to hide his keys on occasion. :-)

No comments: