Saturday, August 12, 2006

Nightly Routines

I have a nightly routine that brings joy to my soul. Usually around 6 PM, I start to make my way to my nightly 7 PM AA meeting. This entails a long drive out into the country to view the anvils of thunderheads that have formed on the horizon which have been many these past few weeks. I then make my way out county road 209 which brings me full circle back into town. I stop by the shopping center and buy my 30 cent can of soda. I am trying to limit myself to one a day. It is a sweet carbonated treat I relish.

Tonight’s meeting went okay. Friday nights we have this one very elderly lady who usually spends twenty minutes or more talking or should I say rambling about the twenty odd something cats she owns. I think this aggravates some of the other members, but I find her kind and endearing. She is originally from Chicago and has a strong mid-west accent; something you don’t hear very often in the South.

After my meeting, I come home and fix supper. Tonight, I was lazy and cooked two chicken pot pies in the oven and doctored them up with a little butter, a dash of salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Dinner was ready around 9 PM. About this time, I turn on my air conditioner after a hot day and let my little apartment get icy cold for sleeping.

After dinner, I take my nightly meds and usually browse all my favorite blogs. The best time to read is at night after everyone has updated during the day. I was amused to see “The Homeless Guy” trying to sell a voided and used food stamp card on EBAY tonight. That has to be one of his most hair brained ideas yet. The auction is just at over $7; furious bidding I tell you. He wrote, “One day I'll be even more famous than I am now, and this card will be worth a lot. For those who do not know, I am the author of the blog, "The Homeless Guy". Invest in the future and bid on this item.” “How arrogant,” I thought bemused.

Usually around 11 PM, I head for the bed after the rooms have grown cold which takes about two hours. I pour me a glass of ice water, bring my cigarettes and ash tray to the side of the bed, and crawl in. I listen to The Big 870 out of New Orleans for a few hours. Even though New Orleans is hundreds of miles away, I pick it up perfectly every night with my cheap little twenty year old alarm clock. At 1 AM, Coast to Coast AM comes on and I try to stay up and listen to the first hour. Their discussions of the paranormal, aliens, etc. amuse me. Somewhere during this time, I fall asleep and usually dream the most vivid dreams during the night.

I wake up in the morning and it all begins anew. And this has to be my most boring post evar! I promise to get back to my normal writing stories routine soon. I just haven’t seen much of the gang these past few days. I have been terribly busy with meetings and such.

No comments: