Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Food in my Belly and a Tent in the Backyard…

It had been two days since I ran out of food. Hunger will push you to do things you normally wouldn’t do. I have a garage door opener to my parent’s house. I knew my mother goes to eat Mexican every Tuesday night with a friend and was not home. I walked over, opened the garage, and then turned off the alarm. My father keeps the checks for our joint checking account in his bedside table. I went upstairs and got one of the checkbooks. I felt like I was breaking and entering even though it is my parent’s house. It was the weirdest feeling.

I then drove to Kroger and bought $67 dollars in groceries; enough to get me by till Monday. And then drove to Fat Albert’s and bought two cartons of cigarettes for $38 dollars. The first thing I did when I got home was to microwave two hotdogs and crack open a diet coke. They were delicious! I was so hungry.

I then called my father and told him what I had spent so he could deduct it from the checking account as he keeps the ledger at his business. He really didn’t know what to say to me. I tend to be submissive to him and he rarely sees me take charge like this. I also told him of my plans for Monday’s appointment to get all my medications and money transferred to the mental health clinic and a social worker.

“You do what you want to do,” He replied. “You are the one that is going to have to live with it though.”

“Love ya Dad and goodnight,” I said. “I hope you didn’t have to work too hard today.”

We then both hung up the phone.

I thought it was going to be World War III after what I did. I think Dad was just tired and wasn’t in the mood for arguing tonight. He had worked his usual ten hour day. I blew a sigh of relief that that ordeal had worked out so well. I was hungry dammit! There are no soup kitchens or charities around here were I could go eat.

I am going to pamper myself tonight. I set up my tent in the backyard and lugged my summer weight sleeping bag out and put it in it. I am fixing to go lie down to a serenade of crickets and katydids and listen to my nightly radio programs. Maybe, something interesting will be on Coast to Coast AM tonight. I have to wait until 1 AM before the program starts though out of the station in New Orleans. I am going to continue my book by candlelight until that time.

Good night my gentle blog readers and thanks for reading. A new era in my life dawns on Monday.

No comments: