Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Start of a new week……

Today is Monday. I always traditionally hated Mondays because it meant going back to work. I still feel that feeling even though I am presently unemployed. Saturday and Sunday just have this different feel to them.

My great aunt Myrtis stayed the weekend with me to attend Aunt Jessie’s birthday party. To be eighty seven years old, she is such a busy body. You would never know her age by her looks or activity level. She washed all my clothes and folded and ironed them. She cleaned the house aft to stern and kept me doing projects as well. Take out the trash. Water the flowers. Clean the refrigerator. Sweep the back porch. Clean the vines and ivy off the air conditioning unit. The list goes on and on but it was all good. The upper house and my apartment are spotless and it feels good. I sleep better in an immaculately clean house for some reason. All just seems right with the world.

She got up very early this morning. I awoke to the smell of fresh brewed coffee and walked up stairs in my robe. I then got us some breakfast started. I cooked some Jimmy Dean hot sausage, scrambled cheese eggs, and some buttered toast. We opened a fresh jar of strawberry preserves to spread on our toast. She always brings me lots of homemade canned items such as this to put in my pantry and I appreciate it.

After breakfast, we packed up all her stuff and I drove the 30 miles to take her back home. She still lives in her late sister’s house in Waverly. It is like stepping back in time in that the house has been the same for thirty or more years. Life seems to stand still in Waverly as time marches by outside its city limits.

I then drove down to the pond to check on the water level and the progress of the dock. My father spent over $12,000 dollars to redo the pond and clear out the spring. My brother-in-law is also building a dock and I wanted to see his progress. Things looked great and the water level is steadily rising. I walked up into the woods to check on the spring and its output. Water was steadily flowing out of the ground into the channel box and flowing down into the basin of the pond. I get excited by this and hope it fills up soon. It is an awesome place to camp and my father is going to build a cabin over here next summer. It will be a great place to stay.

Well, I must get out and do some yard work. I don’t know how long I will last as the heat and humidity are oppressive. My motto is…..do a little bit everyday and it adds up to big dividends in the long run. Take care and I may post later if something interesting happens today.

No comments: