Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A Rough Night for Ferret…

I spoke to Ferret for a brief time today. He had talked to Sherman and Sherman told him of all the beer we had drank last night. Ferret wanted the empty cans.

“I got soaked last night. Just fuckin’ soaked,” He replied. “My tent leaked.”

I walked into the house and got him some seam sealer for his tent. I had a tube to spare.

“That was one hell of a storm and it blew up outta nowhere,” I said. “My great grandfather would always say that if it rained at night in July or August in the South then it was going to be one hell of a rain.”

“I just hope my sleeping bag doesn’t mildew,” Ferret said. “I did manage to get all my clothes into a trash bag though so they are dry.”

“Are you headed down to the shopping center?” I asked after Ferret had gathered all the cans.

“Yeah, I am headed that way,” Ferret replied. “I am going to check the dumpsters behind it. Good thing Dan doesn’t like cans.”

“Hold on and I will walk with you,” I said.

I and Ferret headed on down to the shopping center. Ferret immediately went and crawled into one of the big dumpsters to poke around for cans. I walked on around front to see what Big S was up. I sat down next to him.

“Hot as hell today,” Big S said as he wiped his brow. “Sherman told me about your father trying to gain power of attorney over you.”

“Yeah, that is some fucked up shit,” I replied. “He thinks I need help taking care of myself.”

Droopy then came walking up with that eternal sad look on his face.

“Cigarette?” Droopy asked.

I pulled the pack out of shirt pocket and gave him one.

“Why do none of you fuckers ever have any cigarettes?” I asked perplexed. “You all smoke.”

“I don’t need to buy cigarettes when I got you to bum them off of,” Big S said as he laughed.

“Fuckin’ moochin’ bastard,” I replied as I smiled.

Big S and Droopy then got into this long conversation about the storm last night.

“I ain’t never seen it thunder and lightening like that,” Big S said.

“Me neither,” Droopy replied. “I had lightening strike so close to the house that I thought it had gotten hit.”

They kept on talking about the storm and I walked on home. My social requirements for the day had been fulfilled.

No comments: