Sunday, November 25, 2007

14 Degrees from Heaven...

The temperature is 46 degrees and it is raining... just 14 degrees away from snow I keep telling myself.  Oh, how I wish it would snow and snow.  I would curl up on the couch with my laptop, take photos, and blog all day about it.  We are cursed with mundane weather in the South this year.  We haven't even had our usual round of severe weather on the heels of the many encroaching cold fronts. 

My father called me a moment ago and asked me what I wanted for Christmas.  They are going shopping today.

"I would love to have a real evergreen Christmas tree, and pretty ornaments and lights," I told him.

"Now, that is something I can surely do," he replied.  "I will look for a tree down in Columbus, today."

Christmas was always a very special time during my youth.  Christmases are my only fond memory of being a child.  I would be out of that dreaded school.  I could sleep late every morning.  Hours were spent perusing the Sears and Roebuck annual Christmas catalog at the countless toys on its pages.  My mother would be busy cooking wonderful holiday foods such as spiced tea, fruit cake, and gingerbread men.  I wish I could have captured those moments in a bottle, only to be let out during hard times when I needed a respite.  

Well, my kitchen timer just dinged notifying me that my Kroger pizza is ready.  I am going to go eat a few slices and curl up on the couch and watch The Weather Channel

9 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

I wish I could share with you some of the lovely snow I have falling here this morning, Andrew! I woke up to it coming down thick and heavy again. It wasn't forecast, but still I am delighted, since it's the weekend. Shortly I'm headed out in it to the laundromat. I'll be thinking of you as I scrunch thru it! I remember spending hours in the Christmas catalogs as a child too! I'm so glad you are going to have a tree and lights to cheer you! Your neighbors will also love seeing it thru your window. Have a good day and enjoy your pizza!

justLacey said...

You have captured all those memories in your heart. Take them out and relive them whenever you need to. Can't wait to see yor tree all decorated. Wouldn't it be great if it snowed then?

Summer said...

I'm so psyched that you got your camera back! I love the video and pictures. Your backyard is HUGE! DH and I were talking about the weather this year. We had a drought here in Northern VA and no thunderstorms to speak of. We always had a nice breeze blowing even when it was hot as hell. That's unusual for this area. The farmer's almanac says we're going to get significant snow this year. I am as inclined to believe them as I am the idiot on TV.

Anonymous Boxer said...

Oh, I loved that Sears Wish Book - I would have to share it with my siblings and we would use different colored pens to circle the items we wanted... after awhile, most everything was circled!

Have a wonderful Sunday. I loved hearing about Clara's progress.

mago said...

So you and Dad are communicating. I thought you would not talk to each other anymore. Hope you will have a real tree.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I loved the old catalogs Sears and Roebuck...so true!!!!!

I hope you get your tree...and I'm glad things look magical for you..that with a pizza too! And judging from the vlog..a good one!! I laughed at that part...your pizza looked so funny in that nice clean kitchen...so delicious looking too! Like saying, "hi, I'm good,...look at me..aren't I adorable? Wanna taste?" hahah..

Okay...shaddup right? Okay, I'm done. :)
Always,
Crusty~

simonsays said...

I wish you could have the snow that you long for, too. I am happy that you do have wonderful memories of your childhood Christmas's--they can carry us a long way, can't they?

It sounds like you had a very peaceful and quiet Sunday, the kind that I like. :)

abbagirl74 said...

Got to love that Kroger pizza! lol...

Kelly Jene said...

The smell of a true evergreen tree can take my breath away and send me straight into the sparse yet sweet memories of my childhood.