Friday, November 16, 2007

Cold Outside, but Warm in Here. And Warmer Hearts Abound...

I was hunched over the bonnet of my Honda early this morning, taking photos of the frost. The neighbor down the street, a nosey ninety-year-old man named Ed, was walking his Boston terrier, Dixie (I just love that name! Only in the South.).

"Something wrong with your car?" he asked, stopping to look, ever the busybody for his age.

"Hey Mr. Ed," I replied, looking up. "I'm just taking photos."

"Crash damage?"

"No, just taking photos of the frost to share in my journal. The crystalline nature caught my eye."

He looked very uninterested after my reply and continued on his way. He wanted something juicier to gossip about than just some neighbor taking shots of something as mundane as frost on a windshield. I smiled, braving the subfreezing cold to continue snapping shots. Trying to get that perfect exposure of color, contrast, and sharpness.

Mr. Ed was the one who found Joyce screaming that scary Friday night two weeks ago. He said she was standing in her window like some apparition, mumbling about Jesus and God amidst wails of agony. She would only let her preacher in as the police stood in the yard. The screams could be heard several houses down. Losing your mind is a terrible thing. It is nice to know we have such a close knit neighborhood, though. The whole neighborhood mobilized except for me. I sleep like a rock.

I then walked inside and called Joyce, having just thought about her, wondering if she ever got that mess of a kitchen cleaned up after last night's supper.

"Good morning. You up?" I said.

"Hey neighbor!" she replied exuberantly. "You're not going to believe what I had for breakfast."

"What?" I asked, intrigued.

"Leftover turnip greens, pot liquor, and cold cornbread," she said as she laughed. "Isn't that terrible to have such things for breakfast? I should have just fried some eggs."

"Well, I had leftover pizza from yesterday's lunch and a toasted piece of your cornbread you sent home with me for Maggie," I replied. "Me and you live the proverbial bachelor's and bachelorette's life."

Joyce and I just laughed and laughed, enjoying each other's company this morning. It is simple times like these that I enjoy the most. I know conversations and encounters like this are so boring to read, but I so enjoy writing about them and sharing them. These good days are like little jewels in a crown.

11 comments:

Shelly said...

NEVER boring. These small encounters are often the most interesting and truthful for me...

Love the frosty shots, btw.

Sergeant "P" said...

I've managed to run into your blog twice now...and have enjoyed it very much. If you don't mind, I'll come back and visit occasionally.

Ta!

Debbie said...

my doggies sister is named dixie too! mine are belle and bridget.

the frost pics were awesome...very frosty here too.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Just as Shelly said, "Never boring"! I love reading about the peaceful things of routine life. I would have smiled to find you out there in the cold snapping pictures of your auto glass. I'm delighted that you and Joyce are friends, friendships are the thing that gives life meaning. I'm sure she was just as delighted by your call. I eat much like you two, whatever's handy. It is the luxury of living alone. :-)

Portia said...

It's reality, not drama, and many of us crave that and find it more beautiful than the most elaborate fabrications. I do.
:)

abbagirl74 said...

I just love Joyce. She reminds me of my parents' neighbor. Her name is Joyce as well and fits the description, minus the age.

I had my cup of coffee for breakfast, but plan on eating leftover pizza for lunch. Love leftover pizza!

Me said...

The photographs you posted were wonderful. Life is never boring, just look at each frost crystal. They are all unique and are only around for such a short time. You should continue this hobby. It is one of mine, too. Finding these small treasures can often help making sense of our lives.

jane said...

i am a northerner through and through - what is pot liquor? my mind races...

Kelly Jene said...

Definitely not boring. Its warm and friendly and reminds us to really care for those near us in life. I've never had turnip greens. Sounds interesting. I love cornbread though!

Tee said...

Never boring! LOL at the comment, "what's pot liquor?" I worked with a Warrent Officer years ago at the Army and he had read an editorial in the Atlanta newspaper that had a reference in it to pot liquor. He came out of his office and said he had a question, "I need to ask you southern girls how much alcohol content does pot liquor have?" We about fell out of our chairs laughing. Andrew, you must answer this comment. :-)

Nikita said...

really good pics on your site, Andrew!!