Monday, November 26, 2007

Double Down

Sometimes in life, you happen upon a character that is so full of life that they seem to splash over, brimful. Bursting at the seams, their personality just oozes out of their pores. That's what I always thought of George. I got a call today from Rosa that George is in the hospital for cirrhosis of the liver. Rosa had been over to the shopping center to hang out and overheard this bit of gossip.

"Are you going to see him?" Rosa asked me on the second time we had talked today.

"I am going this afternoon," I replied, worried about my old friend.

I hung up the phone and thought about all the moments I had spent down at the shopping center with George. He would be drinking his ice beer, cigar in hand, as a great big toothy grin would form on his face. "What up, my brotha," he would jubilantly say.

The sad thing was that I had to choose between sobriety and my friend, George. He was an irascible alcoholic whose lifestyle I always envied and wanted to emulate. He got to spend carefree days driving around as he drank his beer, smoked his cigars, and delivered the patrons of his fly-by-night taxi service. It was just too tempting for this then newly sober drunk. I got to where I spent less and less time down at the shopping center, and soon George no longer called. His harsh opinion was that I was mixed up in the religious cult that was Alcoholics Anonymous.

I don't know how much time my friend has left, but I plan on spending some of it with him. Bygones be bygones. It is just a shame I didn't get to know my friend sober. Imagine the possibilities. George's spirit is unquenchable though. I wouldn't doubt he somehow beats this next obstacle confronting him. I'd even double down on the bet. George always was a gamblin' man.

12 comments:

eSadElBlOg said...

hope he gets better.

impromptublogger said...

He might beat it for a while, but I saw my mother-in-law eventually succumb to the combined effects of liver damage and chain smoking (sorry buddy). It was NOT pretty.

I actually think visiting George will be better for you than an AA meeting - this should hopefully show you dying from alcoholism is not the best way to go. Sorry to sound so harsh but believe me, this is harsh.

Rhette said...

Prayers go out for your friend George -- and an extra prayer for you Andrew for being a wonderful human being! You hold no grudges, that't the sign of a bigger/better man :) You are ALWAYS there for you friends in need ... God will be good to you. Hold on ~

Rhette

Barb said...

I am sorry to hear about George and his hospitalization. It was kind of Rosa to give you a head's up about George so that you can go to see him and rekindle a friendship that may have been ignored but not forgotten.

He is on my prayer list today, and will remain there until you tell us otherwise.

B~

justLacey said...

Perhpas you are the best friend for George right now. My ex-brother in law succumbed to cirrhosis at 39. There were years where he quit drinking and drugging, but eventually he would go back and at it even harder. In the end he gave it up as he got sick hoping he coculd make it sober for a year and ger a liver transplant. He didn't make it. He stayed sober, but passed away before the year was up.

abbagirl74 said...

I just want to cry inside. I have been following this blog from the beginning, reading every archive I could get my hands on. George has been one of my favorites. It hurts to know it has come down to this. I know you will be there for him in his time of need. You are such a good friend to many. Please give him a hello from me. Tell him someone from Kansas cares and wishes him well.

Kelly Jene said...

Get to know him now... its not too late. He will appreciate your friendship. I am sending prayers his way.

Chandira said...

That's a tough one. Friendship is something that we tend just to fall into with people, and nobody ever tells us it's OK to move on when that friendship no longer is the best thing for us, do they?
Don't feel bad about having moved on.
There's such a taboo about leaving friends that aren't good for us, isn't there? I've done the same thing several times, for the same reason. It's ok.
But, be a friend if he needs you too. So long as you don't get drawn in again by the temptations he represents.
Love him, but don't feel bad about having moved on.

Summer said...

You're the best friend anyone could ever ask for.

Annabel said...

I'm so sorry to hear about George. Please give him our well wishes. You are a wonderful friend for spending time with him. He could use a friend right now. I'll keep him in my prayers.

simonsays said...

You are a wonderful friend, and I know you will be there for George.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Please Hug George for me. I am so sad to hear that. I hope his time is more here, but if not, than I hope his pain is relieved!
Always,
Crusty~