Saturday, November 17, 2007

Happy Crazy Thanksgiving...

Joyce came over last night knocking on my door. Her sister was standing in my yard. Maggie did her characteristic happy dance at having company.

"You wait in the yard," I could hear Joyce loudly tell her sister behind the closed door. "I am going to ask Andrew what to do."

I opened the door and she came barging in, taking off her earmuffs so she could hear. She looked so cold, bundled up in layers of clothes. She was also extremely confused and her sister didn't know what to do with her.

"I've lost my medicines," Joyce said with a pained look on her face.

"Are you sure you didn't flush them down the toilet again?" I asked, holding her hand as I cringed at the thought of another thousand dollars of medication whisked away in a turbulent flush of toilet water.

"I can't remember," she said with a crazy look in her eyes. I wondered if I looked like this when caught in the throes of my schizophrenia.

I calmly walked into my computer room to call my father. Joyce followed me as she took off her coat. My father agreed to prepare her refills just before closing. I decided to drive her down to pick them up.

"You sure you don't mind?" Joyce's sister asked me as we stepped to my car. "I just didn't know what to do. She is clearly out of it. We are supposed to be out at the lake house for Thanksgiving."

"I don't mind," I said. "We will be back in just a minute."

And I didn't mind. I hope Joyce, when in her right mind, will see about me. It is rather selfish if you think about it for a moment. I just want the same care and concern returned. I never know when my mental illness will strike and I am in the same predicament.

"I love you so much," Joyce said, shakily, as we drove to my father's pharmacy. "I really do love you so much."

"I love you too, sweetheart," I replied, reaching out for her hand. "Everything's going to be okay."

Happy Crazy Thanksgiving. Its that season of the year that brings out the worst of us "mentally interesting" folks. It will only get more interesting as Christmas approaches. Light a candle and say a prayer. It is going to be a bumpy ride.

11 comments:

Portia said...

I don't think that is so much selfish as it is human nature. I'm glad you and Joyce are neighbors.

Have a good one:)

Summer said...

Some days I turn on my computer and go for your blog first and then other days I save it for last.

I'm so thankful that Joyce has you as a friend.

Josie Two Shoes said...

I agree with Portia, it is human nature to hope that others will return the kindness we show them. It makes me sad for Joyce that she is struggling so hard these days. It sounds like she needs help with storage of her medications. I know it is hard for her sister too. One can feel so helpless in such situations involving people you love. You are right about the holidays - people either love them or struggle thru them. For so many it is tough time emotionally. I often wish we could just skip November and December altogether.

Barb said...

You are a treasure...Joyce is blessed!

mapiprincesa! said...

You're a good friend to those who need you, Andrew.

simonsays said...

You are a kind and true friend Andrew. :)

justLacey said...

You are good to look after her as best you can. I know she feels you understand her and that makes her more comfortable with you. I think the olidays bring out the worst in everyone and make all of us a little crazy.

C. R. Morris said...

Hang in there, you're an awesome friend and a blessing to many. Joyce sound like a really great person too and I'm sure she'll be there for you. You're a good team. I'll say a prayer for you every night..strength to make it through.

Kelly Jene said...

You're a lovely friend for her, Andrew. And when you have good friends, you do things for each other to build a unity that is there for each of you in your time of need. It is not selfish. God bless you and thank goodness your father was able to help!

CJM-R said...

What goes around comes around and I am sure Joyce will be there for you when you need a hand. You are such a blessing for her to have close by.

I agree with others who say that the holiday season brings out the best and the worst of many of us. Ah, the human condition again. So complicated, and so fragile at times.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

You are a good person!! I get quite nuts around this time...So I will continue to keep you my friend, as well as all that surrounds you in my thoughts!!
I'm glad Joyce has you. People are just drawn to you..truly!
You're very blessed my friend!
Always,
Crusty~