Thursday, November 15, 2007

And Cornbread, too?

Southern food can sometimes not look very appetizing. That's what I thought a moment ago as I peered into a large pot of boiling and freshly picked garden turnip greens on Joyce's stove. They were a dull green, swimming in bacon fat, and floating amid dull, sickly brown chunks of artery clogging fatback (salted pork). She had invited me over to look. Joyce was so excited about supper tonight, and so excited about a friend having given her fresh turnip greens. She doesn't cook for others very often. She eats alone like me these days.

"You're coming over tonight for supper, right?" She asked with a cook's Cheshire grin.

"Cornbread?" I replied, growing excited as well.

"And homemade hot sauce for the turnips, and mashed potatoes, too!"

I smiled and gave her a hug. I am unsure about her cooking, but I will be over tonight dressed in nice clothes and with carefully combed hair; eating turnip greens swimming in fiery hot pepper sauce. Spoonfuls of buttery mashed potatoes will follow. Along with bites of crunchy, cast-iron-pan cooked buttermilk cornbread.

They say in the South that the more turnip greens you eat, then the more money you will have. It's a New Year's Day tradition to have turnip greens and black-eyed peas (hoppin' john) for good luck -- a tradition dating back to when Sherman razed the South during the Civil War, and those poverty foods were the only things left to eat. Talk about turning pitiful into positive! I need some money and good luck. I also need some southern-style cooked turnip greens if Joyce's are edible. I hope it will be a culinary and wealth inducing marriage made in heaven tonight. I'm just glad to spend some time with my neighbor and friend. It's the thought that matters.

22 comments:

Vans said...

It sounds yummy...this coming from a very picky eater. I hope you enjoy it!

I miss reading your blogs (my fault for being gone for so long) and I have to catch up.

Anonymous said...

Associating with people even less fortunate than yourself and marvelling in nature are far healthier ways of dealing with the stress brought on by "the harsher realities" than beer and cigars. So continue to focus your attention on your town's poor and outcast ; your pity will make you feel like a king! your meager almsgiving of pop and cigarettes a real philanthropist! Why not volunteer at a hospital , nursing home or homeless shelter? And the recipients of your charity will thank you unless they detect you derive a secret joy in their suffering. Ignore society's winners, for although they have much to teach you about actually GETTING ON with your life , they will shatter what little brittle self-contentment you have. Or you could study Zen , in which the winner/loser dichotomy is meaningless and certainly no cause for mental perturbance.

mapiprincesa! said...

turnip greens, eh? Is that the secret? Bring 'em on!! :)

justLacey said...

I love turnip greens and collards. I'm sure they will be delicious and that home made hot sauce sounds very interesting.

Darlene said...

Your dinner...er..supper :) sounds so good! Turnip greens sounds especially good although I've never had them. You've inspired me to find a recipe and give it a try :)
Have a great day Andrew!

Barb said...

Once again, a person with no balls to identify themselves, attacks you for speaking the truth. Your truth, not theirs. Show your face, man and see if your honesty is as big as your words. That makes me sick!!!

J. Wilson said...

Wow that looks delicious!

Check out my blog if you get a chance: eight-thirty.blogspot.com.

C. R. Morris said...

I find this post to be cruel and usual. *folding arms and pouting* That is one of my most "favoritist" meals sitting right there on that plate. Of course, I'll pass on the hot sauce. YUM Turnip greens and corn bread... *sigh* I feel a very fattening meal coming for this weekend! LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm from the south, too, and this plate of food looks so familiar. I don't eat this stuff very often anymore... no one in my house likes it.

Jbeeky said...

How was the visit with Rosa and Allyssa?

abbagirl74 said...

Yum! I love greens! It's the American version of hot Korean Kimchi. Can't wait to hear how your night went.

amelia said...

I'd like to know how your day went!

SOUL: said...

i'm stahvin!!!!

Kelly Jene said...

It must be nice having neighbors you aren't scared of! I love your kindness to Joyce... you're such a blessing to her life. Hugs to you!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Leaving to go to the store right now for turnips...hahaha..

I love cornbread..yum! If you ever want a really good recipe, I'd be happy to send it to you..it's awesome!

Bigdogg always feel wierd eating other peoples food in their homes.
We've had some neighbor friends bring meals these past two nights due to my surgery, and he initally feels "wierd" eating their meal.
Understandably..but Joyce's meal sure looked good!

If only my brain wasn't so fuzzy right now from all the meds, I think I would make a batch of corn bread..that and some tapioca pudding. :)
Always,
Crusty~

Josie Two Shoes said...

How sweet of Joyce to invite you, and how wonderful of you to accept and arrive in style. I hope you have a lovely dinner together - yes it is the thought that matters. That's what friends are for.

Whitney said...

You didn't mention Rosa and Alyssa. Did they come over? How did it go with having a child around?

You haven't talked much about your big breakfasts you used to cook and share with us. Or your wonderful dinners for that matter. Are you cooking? YOu used to love to cook.

Thodgson said...

I like collards better than turnips - I remember Sunday afternoon snacks at Grandmas often were collard biscuits. Yummy. I hope you enjoyed your dinner and fellowship

odd facts said...

I'm hungry now.

AlabamaGal said...

Ahhhh, You are making me hungry speaking of Southern food and it is 2:21 a.m but now I want some turnip greens! :)

You are right, I have learned that sometimes southern food doesn't look very appetizing. My husband sometimes asks, What is THAT? and you have to just giggle at how funny some Southern dishes must look to somebody not originally from the South!

-M

Summer said...

Well... was it good? I keep with that New Year tradition too.

Tee said...

Those southern dishes might look funny, but they sure taste good. That meal is fit for a KING! Eat your heart out yankees! This is the kind of food I ate growing up. We had no clue there was any other kind. :-) My neighbor gave me a big bag full of turnip greens several weeks ago and they were so good. I had some homemade pepper sauce to put on them. Yum!