Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Moping About...

Fixed my signature cheesy mushroom chicken and rice dish for Rosa tonight. It is a simple recipe of boneless chicken breasts cooked in butter, cream of mushroom soup, and milk. I cooked a big pot of southern style sticky rice and mixed it in. It was the perfect cold weather meal and treat. I love how creamy and buttery it is -- packed with calories to burn on a cold night. My waist line doesn't like it though.

"I am going to start going to AA with you," Rosa told me after our meal.

We were sitting in my den watching the nightly news which I detest. It was Rosa's idea. She watches a lot of television.

"Thank you. And I will got to NA (Narcotics Anonymous) with you," I replied.

Rosa was moping about this evening, though. She still has a broken heart about Allyssa being taken back to Atlanta.

"I miss her so much," Rosa said at one point.

"I know you do, sweetheart," I replied.

"You never know what life will throw at you, do you?"

"No, you never do," I replied. "That's why I take it one day at a time."

And taking it one day at a time has been key to me staying sober. I only have to worry about the four or five hours ahead of me before going to bed tonight. I can stay sober for that long. Come what may, tomorrow.

Been reading up on photography basics all afternoon.  I am getting enough confidence to start shooting photos with the manual setting on my camera.  F-stop, ISO speed, shutter speed.  It can all be so confusing, but I think the best pictures are taken on manual.  I am so glad I've had photography to exercise my mind these days.  I am getting to be a regular shutter-bug. 

18 comments:

jacobithegreat said...

I'd love it if you shared the recipe!
I know you pretty much outlined it but could you share exact measurements please? I suck at cooking.
:o)

CJM-R said...

I think it is wonderful that you and Rosa will go to meetings together.

It nice to hear of her once again.

You dinner looked so yummy!!

Always enjoy the photos, they are wonderful and beautiful.

Josie Two Shoes said...

So nice to read of you and Rosa sharing a supper again. Comfort food and comfort of friends. I bet her house is terribly quiet with her granddaughter gone. It would be awesome if you could support each other by attending meetings together!

Yes, sharing your recipes on your blog would be a great idea, we'd all like to sample some of that delicious southern cooking! :-)

abbagirl74 said...

I am so glad you have something to keep you busy. And the pictures are a bonus for all of us. I always enjoy clicking over to see what you posted. Dinner looks marvelous. I should have taken a picture of my plate. Maybe next time

Jbeeky said...

You really are a wonderful photographer, absolutely!

Annabel said...

I am loving the pictures. You are indeed a great photographer. And I better not ever read about you pawning your camera off again. I'm glad you have it back in your hands and that you're sharing photos and video blogs with us again.

madamspud169 said...

Please post the recipe for this it looks lovely. Being English I've never tasted southern cooking but you made this sound so easy I'd love to try it. Even if I do have to alter the ingredients slightly because they won't be available here.

I'd love to know how to make sticky rice too.

**
We don't get food items like Kool Aid, Hamburger Helper, Grits, Hersheys choc, twinkies or Velveeta - sadly

Anonymous Boxer said...

Oh, that looks good.

And yes, Andrew, YOU are a shutter bug. A good one, too.

P.S. I hate the evening news too.

Beautifully Profound said...

Good to hear Rosa was over. You need the company I think.

MMM that chicken looks fantastic. I made something similar a couple of weeks ago with shredded chicken. I think I put the recipe up somewhere on my blog.

Thanks for commenting too! It was a bit of a shock to see your name up on my blog. Honored as well.

Anyway, it's bedtime for this old lady, back to the grindstone tomorrow.

amelia said...

So glad to hear that Rosa is there with you....

Kelly Jene said...

That looked yummy! I'm glad you had a dinner guest and I really hope she attends the meetings with you. Sounds like it will help you both to go.

I love your shutterbug side!

C.A. said...

I'm happy to hear you and Rosa are reconnecting. :) That is a wonderful thing. Your dinner looks DELICIOUS! Please do share the recipe! :)

C.A.

Ellie said...

That is the way to do it: one day at a time, one step at a time. The relationship between you and Rosa is absolutely astounding and inspiring! BTW, that dish looked SO delicious!!!! MMM!!!!

Ellie :)Smile cuz u can.

THE SUM OF US said...

Yes, please blog your receipe for this dish. Looks great.
Your photos, as always, as so fantastic. I also try to capture things like flowers etc but yours beats mine by far. Glad to hear Rosa is back in your home. Everyone needs someone.
Stay well,
Terri

simonsays said...

You are so right Andrew---one day at a time, even one hour at a time, in many, many situations.

I am happy to hear of Rosa again, I know her heart must really be hurting for her grand daughter. I am glad that you can be there for her. Once again, you are a good friend. :)

Any chance you want to come to Iowa and cook? I am starving...lol

Have a good, good Tuesday!

AlabamaGal said...

This recipe sounds delicious! I agree with the others, Would you please share the recipe?

Taking one day at a time is the best way to live.

Congratulations on gaining enough confidence to shoot with the manual mode. I highly recommend this book to you:

National Geographic - The Ultimate Field Guide to Photography

Maybe you have a library near or can buy it used on ebay.

Armando and I both learned a lot from that book. It explains the manual settings (ISO speed, Shutter speed, Freezing Action, Movement Blur) in an easy to understand way. The photos in the book are inspiring too!

Good Morning to you.
Michelle

Summer said...

Why did Rosa's daughter take Allysa back?

anonymous said...

Did Rosa's daughter take Allyssa back just for the welfare check? It's sad if that is the case. Sadly, I see that all the time, I work for the welfare department.