Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It was a Pabst Blue Ribbon Day…

I was out washing my Benefactor’s driveway.  He was standing out in the yard talking to me as he drank another beer.  It was making me nervous.  I wasn’t much up for small talk today.  Ah, the rigors of working a job.

“Don’t you need to get in out of this heat?” I asked him concerned.

His face was bright beet red.  He looked like a heart attack about to happen at any moment.  Just then my phone rang in my pocket. 

“Hello?” I asked answering the phone as I turned off the power washer.

“What are you doing?” Kim asked.

“I am trying to get up some money to take you out to the movies this weekend,” I replied.

She laughed telling me what a gentleman I was.

“All that work for me?” she asked.

“Well, I have my moments,” I told her. “I need to get back to work.  I will call you tonight.”

I hung up the phone when my Benefactor asked who that was nosily.  I told him it was my new girlfriend.

“For God’s sake! Don’t get married!” he replied vehemently.

I burst out laughing.  For some reason, it struck me as so funny the way he drunkenly exclaimed that.  It was as if I was dealing with the bubonic plague or something.

I finished up my work and my Benefactor paid me my $25 dollars.  It was a easy job although I would have much preferred to do it in quiet silence only to the drone of the power washer.  You win some and you lose some was what I thought as I got in my car and drove home.  I smiled again at my Benefactor’s warnings of marriage as I drove.  He’s a good guy all in all, but a little too ambitious in his drinking habits.  It doesn’t make him a bad person.  Just another one of those fringe dwellers that seem to somehow fill my life. 

3 comments:

This IS The Fun Part! said...

What a day! I guess there is something to be said for facing your fears. Yet another success in the life of Andrew!!

Doesn't it feel great!!!

Grannie

justLacey said...

You love the fringe dwellers. My guess is that they make you feel more normal by being so accepting of you. They actually make you look pretty successful!

Syd said...

He sounds like a card but as long as he pays you, then a couple of chats with a lonely old man isn't so bad. I suspect that he wants someone to talk to. Another successful go for the lawn business!