Monday, July 12, 2010

Met With Ambivalence…

I managed to make $20 dollars mowing lawns for a short while in the mill village.  I was met with a lot of ambivalence by people who needed their lawns mowed, but didn’t want to pay to get it done.  You win some – you lose some as they say.  It’s a very poor neighborhood.  I was just proud to make $20 dollars today despite all odds.  I quit knocking on doors when it kept thundering loudly.  I pushed my mower home and plopped down in front of this computer in my nicely air conditioned den to write this. 

I passed Julia’s house on the way home and saw mom’s car there.  It’s Monday with the Catholic ladies for her today.  She will bring McDonald’s this afternoon and three 20oz diet Cokes.  She is insisting our routines not change. 

Wednesday, I plan to use my first paycheck to open a checking account with a debit card and a savings account.  I am so excited about this.  Especially having a debit card.  I will be able to order computer parts online again for the first time in a decade.  I am going to slowly upgrade my computer part by part over the next several months of paychecks.  I also want to start saving money for my iPod Touch and getting the deer damage to my car fixed.  I have so many things I need to buy, plan, and save for.  I should be hitting the streets with my riding lawn mower hustling and bustling, but I am very tired today.  The push mower did me in I think.  It always does.  

Well, I am driving down to order that muffler for my mower and then I am going to Rodger’s and get a barbecue sandwich and fries.  Maggie will get the McDonald’s hamburgers..  I think I deserve a treat today and I am starving and can’t wait on mom to get here.  I will write again tonight about the rest of the day!   

5 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Bravo! A job and day well done!

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

pattycakes said...

sounds like you had a nice day so far, and plan on buying things to improve your things , cant wait to read your nitetime fun
hope you had a good dinner and relax for awhile :) hope maggie enjoys her burger

Sharon said...

It must be a great feeling to finally be able to spend your own money for things. Taking control of your life, while not easy, will go a long way towards raising your self esteem and easing your depression. Be careful about the drinking, as others have said 40 oz. of beer has a lot of calories and you don't want problems with your bulimia on top of everything else. But otherwise, I do see you making great progress in all other areas and I'm very, very happy for you.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Idea! Get some business card paper and print some business cards. Make up a name (Maggie's Mowing?) and use your first name only - or maybe just use Andrew - and your cell phone number - no last name and no address. Maybe a cute picture of someone mowing - or a picture of Maggie even! Give them out 2 at a time. One for the customer to keep and one for him to give a friend or neighbor!

And to avoid anxiety with that cell phone, only give the number out to your customers. That way you will know that when it rings, it will always be a customer.

There are tons of free business card programs online that you can use and free clip art, too!

And when you're at work in the mornings, keep a pen and little pad handy. If a customer calls, you want to make sure you can write down the address so you don't forget it!!

That's it for Business 101 today!

Love ya,
Grannie

Syd said...

Good for you. Even if you didn't do that many lawns, you still made some money and were busy.