Wednesday, July 21, 2010

S-E-X…

I was sitting down in the park late last evening drinking my two sunset brews and talking to Kim on the phone.  We were talking about how long someone should wait before sleeping together for the first time after starting dating.

“I slept with Rachel within days of us meeting,” I told her. “You know how that ended.  Divorce.  We moved way too fast.  Before I knew it I was married.”

“I slept with Bill on our first date,” Kim told me of her ex-husband.

“We seem to be moving at a much slower pace,” I replied, relieved.  I wasn’t quite sure I was ready for the big commitment yet.

“The other night in your car was so hard, though,” she told me. “I wanted you to come inside and for us to make love.”

“There will be plenty of time for that,” I replied. “Let’s get to know each other better.  I want you to be my best friend first and foremost.  I already consider you my best friend besides George.”

I had successfully changed the subject with the mention of George.  I was growing uncomfortable with all this talk of sex and making love – my insecurities showing themselves. 

“How did you and George meet?” Kim then asked.

“Oh, I thought George was crazy when we first met,” I replied laughing. “I would walk down to the Piggly Wiggly everyday to buy my beer and George would ask for one from me.  He kept talking about me being in the Navy as a special ops and telling the gang down at the Piggly Wiggly of all the ‘sand niggas’ I killed in the Iraq war.”

Kim laughed. “You certainly don’t seem like the military type.  I should know with Bill.”

“He also thought he knew Rachel and would tell me he was going to call her and get us back together.  That would always make me shudder in horror.  The last thing I wanted was to be hen pecked once again by that woman.”

“What was Rachel like?” Kim then asked.

“She was a librarian and a bookworm.  She read voraciously.  We had probably a dozen bookcases of books she had read in our home.  I would occasionally have to go to Wal-Mart to buy more bookcases and put them together.   She was a rotund woman who had a weakness for starch and pasta.  She loved Kraft macaroni and cheese.  My most prominent memory of her was every night she would read for hours late in the night while I slept.  I learned to sleep with a light on. I still often sleep with my bedside light on to this day.”

“I want to see you right now,” Kim then told me sounding lustful changing the subject once again.

“I’m kind of indisposed at the moment,” I told her. “I am down in the park near central elementary on my bike drinking my sunset brews.”

“I’ll come pick you up and we’ll put your bike in the rear of my car. You can finish your beer at my house.”

I waited a while until I saw Kim’s familiar red Mitsubishi Eclipse pull up by the park and pull into a parking space.  I pushed my bike over to the car after donning my backpack and putting away my radio which was sitting on the cement where I sat.

“Get in handsome,” she said with a sly grin as she popped the rear hatch.

The evening ended up with us drinking some wine and ending up in bed holding each other in a passionate embrace, but we didn’t have sex.   Things got very hot and heated, but I managed to hold off for one more night.  Although, it is growing harder with every passing moment.  We fell asleep for a few hours and then I woke Kim and got her to drive me home.  She sleepily and passionately kissed me in the car and told me goodnight.  I walked inside feeling like a million dollars.  It has been so long since I felt so in love and connected with someone.  As I have said before, I am quite smitten with the woman.

8 comments:

reaganalabama said...

Don't wait too long!! :-)

Syd said...

I wish that more people would decide that being friends is as important, or perhaps more so, than being lovers. Kim is pushing to move fast and furious. Follow what you want to do with head and heart in alignment.

Berryvox said...

Woo! Like I said before, I hope Kim turns out to be fantastic for you. And it sounds like she is. :)

forsythia said...

You, Andrew, are some writer! BTW, I'd watch DRIVING MISS DAISY all over again just to enjoy the way Morgan Freeman says "Piggly-Wiggly."

This IS The Fun Part! said...

The first time I heard you speak, I just knew that you would live up to the label of "Southern Gentleman"! Hope you don't mind me sticking you with that one.

Have you had time to just stop and reflect on what has happened in the past few weeks? You have come from house-bound mentally ill Andrew to a man with his own lawn service business, holding down another job as well, with both checking and savings accounts, purchasing a cell phone, camera parts and a lawn mower muffler. A man who can walk into stores and buy what he chooses when before he couldn't come up with $2.00! A man who can get home from work and have a couple of cold beers - or not - whatever he chooses. A man who can knock on the door of a total stranger to get a job mowing a yard and negotiate the price. A man who can call his girlfriend and ask her out on a date!

So what if you still have some anxiety. Maybe you're a little insecure from time to time. You might be a little concerned that something you say or do isn't right. Everyone has all of these same feelings at one time or another.

Your recent changes have been almost like a miracle. I think a lot of us have felt that you were doing too much too fast. I guess we have been proven wrong! The pace you have set for yourself appears to be working for you!

Hang in there - and keep the positive energy going. It must really, really feel good to be Andrew these days!

Love ya,
Grannie

Tee said...

Before forming a relationship that will last you must be friends first. Just take things slow and easy and don't let Kim rush you. My husband and I were friends first and we have been married almost 44 years. Now you can guess how old I am, but I was a child bride. LOL!

justLacey said...

Good idea to get to know each other better before moving ahead and don;t forget next time you are at work to go by the pharmacy section and buy some C-O-N-D-O-M-S before you have S-E-X. I know you are a grown man, but sometimes in the heat of things you get carried away and uh-oh.

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

[big grin]

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com