Thursday, July 22, 2010

Waffling…

I still haven’t put in my notice at Wal-Mart.  I have a new job hours opportunity and I so don’t want to let my supervisor down, and she has been so extremely nice to me.  She has a hard time finding people to work my position because of the hours and the pay which are perfect for me.  She has also bent over backwards to be accommodating as far as my disability is concerned letting me take lots of breaks everyday as long as the job gets done. Another pro is the job is so easy.  It gets hot, but I don’t have to deal with customers only rarely.  Kim has also been vehemently begging me to stay at Wal-Mart – enjoying us being able to see each other every day at work. 

I am supposed to bring my driver’s license by today at Kroger to start the hiring process.  They will also drug test me today.  I am thinking of calling the manager and telling him I already have a job that fits me well and that I appreciated his time. 

I know I sound so wishy-washy, but it is such an important decision.  This decision could change my life drastically in an instant.  I am coming to the conclusion that I better stick with what’s familiar and what works – Wal-Mart.  I hope you all don’t grow aggravated with me and my waffling.  I really, honestly don’t know what to do, but my gut feeling is to stay at Wal-Mart after some contemplation over the past two days. 

New Hours at Work…

My supervisor asked me this morning if I would work five to nine in the mornings and we would move Quinton up to nine to five. Five to nine is a busy time as you have to get caught up from the unsupervised overnight hours and it is the busy early morning grocery crowd.  The carts really pile up overnight and in the early mornings.  She doesn’t come in to work until seven or eight and she felt I could handle this new shift unsupervised putting a lot of trust in me.  I grew excited and said yes immediately!  I get up at five every morning like clockwork anyway so getting up at four won’t be a problem.  We are going to hire someone new to work four hours five to nine in the evenings my supervisor thinks.  The overnight hours don’t have a cart person because it can be slow but steady and they usually just let a male associate just bring in some carts if they need them.  

19 comments:

This IS The Fun Part! said...

While it IS your decision, I am leaning toward staying where you are, too!

You now know how easy it can be to get out there and find a different job if you need to. You know that you can get through the interview without any big problems - so that can be a fall-back security blanket for you if you have to have it!

There are chances for advancement at Wal-Mart. When openings are available, you can try for them if you want.

Stick with what you have right now and let things settle down for a little while.

I can't help but think that you have done this well so far by making some really good decisions. You're record's pretty good - don't start doubting yourself now!

Even if you do make a mistake - the world won't stop turning. We all make mistakes, learn from them and then keep on going. That's part of being human!

You're not supposed to be perfect.

Love ya,
Grannie

Annabel said...

I agree that you should stay at Walmart. I think it is overall a better job for you with little customer interaction. The new hours will also be beneficial for you to pursue the lawn mowing business. And working so early keeps you out of the heat. I think it is a win-win situation.

glittermom said...

Its always a big decision to change jobs and under the circumstances this decision is even harder for you...Either way I am sure it will work out..

jane said...

i too am voting for walmart, which is amazing because i consider it to be the "evil empire" :)! they've been nice to you, accommodating and you are in a groove! there is a lot to be said for that.

i am cheering for you from haddonfield, new jersey! i am happy you have been able to start making your own decisions about everything. your father loves you, but it's difficult for him to let go. just remember how much he really does care. soon he will be proud of your independence!

keep up all the healthy good work.

hugs,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jane

glittergirl said...

you're allowed to "waffle". it's your life, and making decisions and changing your mind is your right.

:)

Happyone :-) said...

I think you should do whatever feels right for you. I tend to go with the gut feelings.

Sharon said...

I thought all along that you should stay at Walmart. This is all new for you, so it's understandable for you to waffle a little. I think you should call the people at Kroger's and thank them for the offer but you're staying at Walmart. They'll appreciate that you didn't waste their money on a drug test when you aren't planning on working there. It's also apparent to us that your supervisor at Walmart thinks you're doing a great job, and you know they appreciate you there. We support you no matter which you choose.

kellyann said...

I think you should stay at walmart for a few months. Build yourself up to it, your just getting comfortable there, you enjoy the people and are making friends. Rome was not built in a day and getting back into the flow of life wont happen in a day.

You know you are hirable now, just think how much more marketable you would be in 6 months when your confidence is even higher. You have made alot of big steps, changing doctors, changing meds, standing up to your dad, getting a job. I am so proud of you and pray for your continued success!!!
kelly

glittermom said...

your dad said your on your own..he still receives all your money so make sure he is taking care of all your bills and still buying your food...I am sure he will but if he wants to teach you a lesson he might start withholding things..

63mago said...

After all - having put pros and cons against each other - if its your gut feeling to stay there, follow it. You proofed that you could have another one. There's always a way out. Just tell'em that you have some other thing, you might need them one day.

Jenn said...

Just do what's best for you. I know Kim is a big part of your life right now, but please don't make the decision based on her needs. Good luck!

Tee said...

You have made a wise decision. Don't ever think following your gut feeling is waffling. I've found that following your gut when making a life decision usually is the right decision. Your supervisor is working with you and obviously likes your work ethic. The early shift will be a good one, it won't be so hot in the early morning. You will still not have a lot of contact with customers and that is probably a very good thing for you while you are adjusting to you new meds.

Way to go Andrew! Another victory!!!!!

Syd said...

I am a big believer in following my gut instinct. If I follow that, then I generally don't go wrong. I am a boycotter of Wal Mart, but it sounds as if they have been really accomodating for your hours and other aspects of your employment.

kristi said...

If I had it my way I would work early and have the afternoons free. Good luck!

Mary K said...

Yep. Follow your gut.

justLacey said...

I think waffling shows you have put some thought into it and that is important. I also think there might be more opportunity for you at Walmart and you have made friends there. I am all for what makes you happiest.

justLacey said...

I also have to say I love your new hours! you are in and out early with time for a rest if you need it and time before it gets too hot. You can still do your lawn business if you want also. I think the world is your oyster now Andrew!

geelizzie said...

I do think it might be wise to stay put at walmart for now since it seems to be working out so very well for you. The earlier shift sounds ideal, too, avoiding the heat of the day and having the rest of the day free for your yard jobs or to just relax. I do hope you decide to stay at walmart but whatever you do, I'm really enjoying reading about how far you've come in such a short while!

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I think you should do what is right for you. With that in mind, I cannot help but think it would be more fun and enjoyable to stay at WalMart due to the two friends you have already made there... your time with them would be far more limited and would need to be planned out if you went to Kroger. Why not stick with what is comfortable? You do not know who you would work with at Kroger and there would be no Electronics Department to give you a diversion from time to time either.

But again, you should do what you feel is best for you.

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com