Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Great Sodium Conundrum…

“Does Crystal Light have sodium?” a little elderly lady asked me as I was gathering carts in the parking lot early this morning. “I just can’t drink plain water anymore.  I am tired of it.”

“I am not sure,” I replied with a friendly supervisor pleasing smile. “Let’s go inside and look.”

I was feeling exceptionally helpful today for some reason – feeling so mentally well after a full eight hours of sleep and my morning two Klonopin.  Today was also payday and I was so excited to get to the bank and open an account.  I was in a very good mood.  It was my first real paycheck in a very, very long time.  I felt so accomplished.  I felt like a self supporting man for the first time in years.  A few weeks ago, I could barely leave the house due to my perceived mental illnesses.  Who would have thought I would be getting paid for a job well done a few weeks later?

We walked back to the beverage department and looked.  No sodium.  The lady had a basket and began filling it with the powdered drinks. She complained some at the price being $2.98 a canister. I smiled thinking of my always frugal grandmother who would have said something similar. 

“The cranberry apple is really good, and so is the raspberry ice,” I told her.

“Thank you for your help,” she said. “I would have never found these drinks just by looking.  I can’t have much sodium because of having problems with high blood pressure.”

I told her she was welcome and went back out to finish bringing in a long string of carts with my mechanical pusher that would soon need recharging.

Let’s Write Some Checks for a Change…

I left work and went to my father’s bank knowing I would have a rapport with them.  My disability account is with this bank.  I was worried they would check my credit, though.  I don’t have bad credit.  I just don’t have any credit at all.  It has been ten years since I last had a credit card.   I was worried they wouldn’t allow me to have a Visa debit card because of this.  My anxiety was at a very high level as I walked into the cool confines of the bank – my fear of rejection and social embarrassment can be crippling at times.   My fears were for naught.  Everything went swimmingly well.  They have to mail me the debit card and PIN number, though, and it will take a few days to get here.  I was hoping I would get it today ever eager to make a first purchase with my Visa card.  I also took $150 dollars and opened a savings account to save for my iPod Touch and various computer parts I need to order.  I will wait until my debit card comes before I buy my cellphone I decided.  I don’t know if they will allow counter checks at work even if I work there.  I am too socially anxious to try today not wanting an embarrassing social faux pas.

Joys for George…

My first blog posts I mailed to George had arrived.  George wrote me today about how happy he was for me taking charge of my life.  “I always told you working a job like a man would work wonders for you,” he wrote. “To hell with your father.  Don’t let that man tell you how to live your life anymore!” 

George was upbeat in today’s letter.  They had spaghetti and meatballs the other day in the prison cantina and he wrote many sentences on how good it was.  He said the food was hit or miss and he wanted to get a job working in the cantina to improve the food.  He said he also told his cellmate to “shut the fuck up” and he has been quiet for a change.  George said it was like Christmas come to town – the peace and quiet being music to his ears. I laughed and smiled as I read the letter.  It was good to hear him sounding more positive for a change. 

I have been diligently printing out each day’s blog posts and putting them in the mailbox everyday.  So George should have a steady supply from now on.  I need to buy another book of stamps today sometime.  This, I think, will go a long way in improving his spirits and outlook on life.  Mail is so very important for a person who is incarcerated. 

Flower Beds and Mulch and Stuff… 

Well, I am off for my afternoon job.  Today should be nice, cathartic, and easy.  I have found I actually enjoy yard work just like my father does.  I must have the gene like him and his mother.  I have to go buy some pine straw bales and mulch with my benefactor’s truck and spread them about his flower beds and shrubbery today.  I am not sure what he is going to pay me, but he always pays me well so I am not worried and I am sure I will be pleased.  I better grab a quick bite to eat and go get busy.  I will write again tonight!

15 comments:

glittermom said...

I am so excited to see your enthusiasm for what you are doing..I hope its all uphill from now on for you...Its a joy to read your blog...take some pics of the landscaping job when its done...maybe a before and after shot.

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Another excellent day! I am very pleased to see you feeling so good.

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

geelizzie said...

Happy First Payday! You know walmart also does direct deposit, so now that you have a bank account you can set that up and your paycheck will be there waiting for you first thing on payday. I love direct deposit, makes life so much easier.

Annabel said...

Andrew,
I just wanted to tell you what a joy it has been to read of your working adventures. You take such pride in being able to work and I find that remarkable. I'm very proud of you for taking charge of things but at the same time, knowing your limits. I agree that you shouldn't rush to change payees. Don't think you have change absolutely everything at once. Baby steps have their purpose in helping one walk. I'm excited for you having your own checking account and debit card. I hardly ever write checks any more, but I still have a handful of things that I do. I pay all my bills online and do a lot of my shopping online. You're going to love it - but it's easy to "forget" what you've spent so keep an eye on things. I login and check my account online and I keep my own "checkbook" as an excel file on my computer. So be careful - little things add up quickly and you don't want to get overdrawn.
Well, enough preaching from my end. Again, I'm really happy for you and I wish you all the best.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

It just gets better and better! You are doing a great job at following through on your plans - I'm having so much fun watching how well you are dealing with situations that might have stopped you in your tracks not too long ago!

Score another A+!

Grannie

Tee said...

You are doing really well. Just keep a record of what you spend so as not to overdraft your account. Those fees are terrible and you don't want to spend your hard earned money on overdraft charges. If you just cash a check and pay cash for every thing those overdrafts won't happen.

I would be cautious about taking any advise from George, look where he is at the moment. Not a lot of wisdom used on his part wouldn't you say?

Keep up the good work!

kellyann said...

andrew
You are doing wonderful. I am really proud of you, and think that you are doing wonderful at walmart. Plus the extra job will give you more people to talk to and expand your world

Try the direct deposit you will love it. I love when I wake up on payday and my money is already there.

Miss you on facebook

Kellyann

forsythia said...

YAY! Another good day. It must have made you feel good to help out that customer. Believe me, she appreciated your help, even if she thought that "Crystal Light" cost too much. It's not everyday that you can ask a question in a store and get help like that.

Syd said...

Great news about the bank account and savings. Good for you. I am enjoying your posts. They say a lot about hope.

Jules said...

Congratulations on another wonderful day! You sound great.

LM said...

Way to go, Andrew! I am so happy for you on your accomplishments. "Baby steps" is excellent advice...as given by other readers. Perfect way to reach your goals.

justLacey said...

Andrew with a cell phone. Who would have ever thought that? Look how far you have come. You must be so proud, I know I am.

kristi said...

Good for you! I have a prepaid cell phone and I love it. I paid like $10 for it and put about $20 a month on it.

Summer said...

I'm so happy for you. Make sure you print out your comments for George too. I'm sure he will love reading them.

Take good care and have a good nights sleep.
Cindy

vivalarobot said...

I like the idea of printing the comments for George too. If you do, here's a hello to you George from Cleveland, Ohio! :)