Sunday, December 27, 2009

Care Packages in the Dark of the Night...

It's 3 am.  Mom just came by here with a care package.  Completely odd and so ultimately characteristic of my mother to do such a thing. 

"It was just worrying me to death that you would do without while we were gone," she said. "Your father was getting all over me for doing this.  He said I was crazy to come over here and that you wouldn't be up."

I was certainly up as I am most of the time these days being a night owl.

My mother then handed me a bag filled with a carton of cigarettes, a package of four Bic lighters, six Diet Cokes, a $10 dollar iTunes gift card, a package of Oscar Mayer smoked ham, and a giant loaf of Sunbeam bread.  In another sack was a carefully wrapped half a coconut cake and some pork loin in aluminum foil.

"Well, we are headed for Atlanta and the airport as soon as I get home," mom told me. "I love you and be good while we are gone."

I gave mom a hug, thanked her profusely, and watched as she got in the car and drove off.   It wasn't until then that I realized how much I wanted to go with them.  I wanted to see my brother and his wife and kids.  I don't want to be alone for a week.  I am so dependent on my family.  At least I have Mrs. Florene, George, Charlie, and Maggie.  They will have to suffice.  Good company to say the least. 

9 comments:

Stephany said...

What a great care package, you'll be fine, I'm glad you have your friends while the parents are gone. The cake sounds delicious.

Andrew said...

Thanks Stephany. I think I can muddle through. I've already eaten a piece of that cake for breakfast! LOL I couldn't wait. It was always the favorite cake my grandmother would make when she was alive. I think I will now go have another piece with a cold diet coke. I put the cokes in the freezer so they would get cold quick. It's party time! hehe

Stephany said...

lol, I'd join you! I just warmed up left over sausage and gravy and am at 1am wishing I had a diet coke with that!

justLacey said...

And of course you have all of us to keep you company. Mom is so cute with her little trips to see you. I love that she tries to give you some independence at times. I am sure she knows what your life can be like living with your dad all these years. I am surprised she is able to travel as much as she does. Maybe next year you will be able to as well.

Andrew said...

Lacey,

I just got back from eating breakfast with George and Florene. As I was sitting at the table eating my pancakes, I thought of what you wrote this morning - about all of you being here for me as well. It was comforting to know. I DO have all of you along for the ride if I can stay well and keep writing about it! As for mom, she certainly does know what it is like living with dad all these years. He can be the kindest man you ever met and the hardest the next moment. I hope mom manages the trip okay. I wouldn't be surprised if dad has to get her a wheel chair to make it through the airport in Atlanta, though. Take care and you have a wonderful day today!

Anonymous said...

justLacey is right, Andrew! We may not be able to pile on and have some massive group hug . . . but you know that we're behind you and will give you all we can!

Sorry I haven't been around much. Dang Roadrunner is having problems and I'm lucky to even be able to get online. I can't even get into my own blog!! Now it won't let me post. I'm gonna try to post as Anonymous and see if that will work.

Did you make it through Gone With The Wind? I had trouble getting through the middle of it kept falling asleep.

Happy Sunday,
Grannie

Andrew said...

Grannie,

I gave up on reading the book, but bought the audiobook off of iTunes and plan on "reading" it that way. I've had problems reading books the past few years, but amazingly can listen to them on my iPod. Hope your Internet connection is fixed soon. I would die if I couldn't post to my blog!

Leann said...

I hope you have a wonderfully quiet Sunday Andrew. We are all here if you get lonely and need to 'talk'. Take care and God Bless Andrew.

Andrew said...

Leann, It has been nice. I am recovering. I have cat napped all day with Maggie in between listening to Twilight.