Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I-pods and Underwear...

"I am feeling panicky," mom told me this morning.  "I am supposed to go get your Christmas presents today, but don't think I can make it.  Your father told me to go."

"Don't worry about it," I replied. "We'll go together some other day."

I had asked dad for an Apple I-pod classic and a new harness and leash for Maggie for Christmas.  This was going to help keep me walking by having music on-the-go and I felt uncomfortable with Maggie wearing just her collar on the busy highway we walk next to.  The harness was supposed to be escape proof.  Maggie has been known to wiggle out of her collar and it is a frantic and frightening affair with heavy traffic just mere feet away.

"Come by the house and get $400," mom then said. "I have it in my closet."

My jaw dropped to the floor.  I never get to shop other than groceries and haven't in years.  I got so excited!  I was going shopping even if it was only Wal-Mart.  I still can't believe mom trusted me with such a large amount of money.  Dad would skin her hide if he knew.   He would be thinking about me having beer parties and lots of drugs!

Well, I bought my I-pod classic for $245.99 and then bought Maggie the cutest little harness that was fuscia with pink polka dots.   I also bought Maggie a new coordinating leash.  She is going to look so festive and cute!   I used the rest of the money to buy a few groceries that I normally can't afford and several packs of tighter fitting underwear.  I've lost so much weight that my current underwear is too large and my dangly bits hang out very uncomfortably.  I know. I know.  Too much information.  All-in-all it was a grand afternoon and I had so much fun spending lots of money.  

Mom called me when I got home.

"Bring me the change and the I-pod," she said.  "You can't have your big Christmas present until Christmas.  I want to wrap it and put it under the tree."

I laughed and drove right over to hand over the spoils.  Did I tell you I am grilling ribeyes for supper tonight?  I even splurged and got Maggie one as well.  We are going to eat like Kings and Queens tonight!  Now it's time to go get my Christmas tree dad supervised. Dad has gone to get his and Charlie's truck.  Boy, what a busy and eventful day!!!

21 comments:

Andrew said...

Did I also tell you I bought a dozen 200 watt light bulbs? The flourescents I have are just too dark and depressing. I needed something to stave off the nighttime and my SAD.

rew said...

Andrew this was such a great post, it made me tear up :). Full of awesomesauce! We use harnesses on our doglets and they are so much safer i think. No more escaping off the collar!

Becky said...

I love this blog....all of it.

Andrew said...

rew and Becky! Thank you so much. rew, I am hoping the harness works much better. I was so excited to get it home, fit it, and put it on Maggie. She looks so cute!

Happyone :-) said...

How nice it is to hear you had such a good day!
I bet it will be hard to wait for Christmas so you can use your i-pod.

Andrew said...

Happy, it is going to be very hard to wait. I wanted to open the box so badly after shopping today!

Stephany said...

Hi I read your blog daily, you are a good writer, and I love hearing your stories. I use a harness for my dog, it is definitely better than the collar, safety-wise and the dog doesn't pull on the neck as much. I have a Siberian Husky.

Happy Christmas!

Andrew said...

Hi Stephany! Nice to meet you and thanks for commenting. Glad to hear that about the harness. Maggie and I have already had a test run tonight. All is well.

Summer said...

Wow! What great day for you. I know it was hard to take the presents over to your parents, but, you know they will be coming soon. I bought my youngest son a TV for Christmas and it's in my closet. He found it a few weeks ago, as it was too big to hide. He knows it's there and he's waiting patiently for it.

I LOVE ribeye steaks. My favorite! I hope you enjoy your dinner with Maggie.

Talk to you soon.

C

skinny minny said...

wow! sounds like a good day. I have thought about getting a harness for two of my dogs. My sweet little thing is contantly getting tangled p in her leash thought a harness would stop that. the labmix is having a tough time with training and I hate that she chokes and pulls on her neck so much when we walk.
oh and you are braver than I am I avoid Walmart from Thanksgiving to New Years.
Merrt Christmas!

This IS The Fun Part! said...

The best thing I found about the harnesses we got for Dixie and Rascal (rat terriers) is no more choking! They usually don't pull much - until they see a squirrel or something wild . . they want to fetch it for me! I worry about breaking their necks one day.

Andrew, your progress and sense of responsibility is fantastic! Each time you're entrusted with something and handle it so well, it's another step to more freedom.

Whether mom realized it or not, she gave you a great gift by handing you $400 and sending you shopping. I hope you know just how terrific that is!

I'm grinning from ear to ear!
Grannie

Andrew said...

Summer!!!!!!! It was so hard! I wanted to play with it so bad. You should see Maggie in her new fuscia harness, though. I just melt when I look at her. She looks like a lady.

Skinny Minny, Wal-Mart was surprising tranquil yesterday. I was shocked. I didn't have to wait one bit and everyone was so helpful in helping me find everything.


Grannie, thank you so much for the kind words. You and your comments have grown to mean so much to me. I couldn't wait to try Maggie's harness last night and we went on a trial walk over to the AA meeting hall. She did fine and didn't choke either! It was so much fun!

Jenn said...

What color iPod did you choose?

Andrew said...

Jenn, I got the black. I am so excited to open that box and see what it looks like in my palm. The box was so small, though. I didn't realize how tiny the things are! 160gigs is amazing!

Jenn said...

They are pretty awesome. My kids love them. Actually, everyone in the family has one but me :( Maybe for my b-day. iTunes is pretty cool too. Maybe a sibling can get you some iTune gift cards so you can down load some music?

Andrew said...

Jenn,

I didn't realize they had iTunes gift cards. Something to beg for next! LOL Uhmm Dad? I need some music!

Joy Heather said...

Glad you had such a good day..your presents are great..and those harness's are wonderful..so much safer than a normal collar & lead...I had to laugh about your underwear I hope thats sorted out now..especially in this cold weather LOL..we have had snow here today Andrew..it came down very heavy for a while..but sadly it stopped all too soon..more is expected tomorrow though...will put some pics on my blog if it does...have fun doing your tree.

Andrew said...

Joy, I can't wait to see the snow pics! I feel so left out now. I know in my heart that it will never snow here like it did last winter. :-(

DevotedReader said...

Also you can download music from Amazon too. It's cheaper and you can get electronic gift-certificates ;)

Andrew said...

DevotedReader, thanks for the tip! I think I will go with Amazon. Gotta save that money when you're on my budget! LOL

Anonymous said...

Great blog today!
LOL LOL LOL
your dear old friend, L