Sunday, December 27, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

I didn't find out until last night, but mom and dad fly out at 5 am this morning to Washington D.C. to see my brother and his family. 

"I thought it would upset you not being able to go," dad told me last night as he was giving me my medications.  "I just didn't think you could make it so I didn't tell you."

"You don't have to hide such things from me," I replied, feeling uncomfortable and odd.

"Sorry," dad said, giving me a hug.  "We are flying first class, though.  Isn't that neat?  I thought it would be easier on your mother than to be crammed into coach.  She's getting a little wide for the seats.  First class will give us room to breathe."

I couldn't have gone anyway, but it did make me feel left out.  Airports?  Airplane flights?  The incessant waiting? The after Christmas crowds of people? Just getting my clothes and luggage together would be a major feat for me.  The one I am worried about is mom.  How can she do all that walking?  And the incontinence problem?  Mentally, she is very shaky these days.  Mom is already tired and worn out after Christmas day and dad said she didn't get out of the bed all day yesterday.

Charlie is taking good care of me while my family is gone.  Charlie will bring me a fast food supper every night, my Diet Cokes, and he doesn't dawdle over giving my medications.   He hands me little bitty envelopes of my pills and leaves.   It will also thrill Maggie to see him every night for a week.  Charlie is, after all, her favorite "dog" in her pack.  Her very most favorite of all.

9 comments:

Stephany said...

That must have been quite a disappointment, and shock to find out as they were leaving, I agree, you should have been part of the decision, even if they assumed you wouldn't go...they should have been honest. Anyway, hang in there, sounds like your friends will help you get through the week.

Andrew said...

I know Stephany. It was a complete shock to me. I hate it when my family hides such things from me to "protect" me. I will agree that I can be fragile sometimes, but I am not that fragile!

Stephany said...

Exactly right. Your Dad needs to understand that leaving abruptly like that can trigger anxiety, so it's not really the best idea he had! Anyway, you'll be fine, lots of readers here to give support and your friends in person...and dog buddy Maggie. OK, I better get some sleep myself! Have a nice Sunday!

Summer said...

My family is famous for keeping secrets from each other. It's so annoying. But, it sounds like you are in good hands. Charlie is a wonderful friend to you and Maggie.
Does your brother live in Virginia or Maryland?

Andrew said...

Summer, I am not sure where he lives. I think in Maryland. They have so enjoyed the snow and he called me about it knowing how much I love the snow. I was SHOCKED!

Sharyna said...

I, too, fear that I can't do airports anymore. It's hard to believe that I used to fly at least once a month with a baby and all the baby stuff! We're here for you this week! Email me if you need me!

Anonymous said...

As you may remember Andrew I am mentally interesting as well and am not fond of leaving my house but do always enjoy being asked.
I didn't realise your mom was undiagnosed till in her 40's.I was 47 myself and thought that was odd and rare.
Charlie seems like a peach of a guy.Maggies great fondness for him just reinforces this.
Love that you are responding!
Billie in Mo.

Andrew said...

Sharyna, thank you. I wanted to go so badly, but deep in my heart I know I could never make it. I am still just exhausted after Christmas Eve and Day. I, too, could do much more during my younger days - the days before the mental illness hit me so hard. Thank you for the kind words of support. I know you are here for me and I will write you if something comes up.

Andrew said...

Billie, yeah we couldn't figure out what was wrong with mom for years. Most of my childhood is marred by mom's mental illness and our constant fighting and bickering! Mom started to take Zyprexa and it changed her life like night and day. She still has problems, but it is manageable now. And she is not up at 3 AM in the morning hanging pictures in the hall manically like she used to do when we would try to sleep. Charlie is a true gem. I would go to him if I had a problem before I would go to my Uncle's!