Wednesday, June 09, 2010

30 Day Program…

“We are only doing this for 30 days,” dad told me this morning. “They say doing anything for 30 days makes it a habit.”

Dad sat in the den as I washed my hair and took a shower.   I also brushed my teeth and shaved.  We had eaten breakfast earlier – a fruit cup and biscuits and bacon.  I relished this time with my father.

“Is that a tear in your eye?” dad asked after my exertions as we sat in the den watching t.v.

“I needed help,” I told him. “And you were there for me.  I just need some encouragement.  A reason for living.”

Dad gave me a hug and left to go back home.  Today is his day off and he plans to spend it working in his yard. He also has to keep his yard man J.W. busy as well. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your dad. He sounds like a good man. I've been trying to do better myself. To take better care of myself. I shower every day now and try to fix my hair and put on makeup. It is hard though. What about schizophrenia makes this so hard for us?

Ellie

Andrew said...

Ellie, I don't know, but it's hard isn't it? Most people take such activities for granted - that just comes natural to them. We have to struggle just to brush our teeth. Thank you for commenting. I appreciate having someone with schizophrenia reading and listening. Your voice is needed on this blog!!!

Becky said...

Andrew please keep up the honest and vulnerable communication with your Dad....you are ...it is working.

Andrew said...

Thank you Becky. I will try. I love my father so much and so appreciate his help. It melts my heart that after all I've put him through, he is still trying to help me!