Tuesday, June 08, 2010

A Life Coach…

“I am going to be your life coach,” my father just told me. “I am going to be your mentor and show you how to live life.”

“What’s first?” I asked, excited.

“First things first,” dad replied. “I want you to take a shower and wash your beautiful hair everyday.  I am coming over every morning before work and see that it gets done.  I also want you to shave everyday.  You can be so remiss about shaving. We are also going to eat a sensible and nutritious breakfast every morning.  I am going to eat with you.”

“What’s next?” I asked growing ever more enthused.

“We are getting you some nice clothes,” dad said. “I am tired of those t-shirts and shorts you wear constantly.  They look sloppy.  You said you need help learning to live a right life so I am stepping in.”

“Thank you,” I told him with a tear in my eye.

I really don’t know how to live life.  That’s sad to say for a thirty eight year old man, but I need help.  I need encouragement.  I need a “life coach” as dad called it.  

8 comments:

This IS The Fun Part! said...

If you're going to be taking classes again, you'll have to get dressed up at least a little. Of course, the way most college kids dress now is pretty slack!

I can relate to you not bothering to shower and shave every day. Why bother when all you're going to do is sit home and do nothing? When you have somewhere to go and things to do, that will make a difference.

This sounds like a good plan! I kind of like it. Mmmmmm waffles!

Love,
Grannie

Anonymous said...

"life coach" - I like it. Mental Illness makes just daily tasks hard. My heart goes out to you as I know. I have schizophrenia and once went a year without leaving the house or taking a shower. I just merely existed!

Ellie

Mary E. said...

I find it sad that your dad must coach a thirty something year old man how to live. I guess I don't understand mental illness enough. I am learning though. You are a great writer!

Andrew said...

Mary E. I just don't know how to live like a normal person. It baffles me and my mental illness exacerbates it. It is as simple as not being able to ride a bike. At least you can learn I hope!

Lena said...

A mentor is a great idea. I hope it works out for you and your dad.

U may call the mental health association and see if provide mentors as well.

Hang in there Andrew!!

justLacey said...

I think it sounds like fun, plus you can use the company. I find some sort of daily schedule for the most part makes things easier. I am excited for you.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm flabergasted. That man is the WORST roll model for you. Control freak, is what he is. And that's the least of his faults.

Good Lord.

Sharon said...

How exciting that your Dad wants to take an active part in your recovery. He obviously loves you a lot and wants to play a part in guiding you. I hope this works out for both of you and brings you closer together.