Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Miss Mary…

I was just sitting through an online AA meeting.  A lady was droning on about her six cats.  Nobody had the gall to tell her to please stick to talking about alcohol.  I smiled and just told her thank you for sharing when she was through.  It reminded me of Miss Mary – a local legend within meetings in town.  She talks about her dogs and cats every meeting.  Everybody treats her with kindness.  She is kind of crazy and I guess that is why I love her.  I was talking to mom about her the other night and mom knew who she was.  “She goes to the Catholic church,” mom said. “She has two screws loose.” “Like us?” I asked smiling.  Mom punched me in the shoulder.  Sometimes I find these online meetings to be laborious, but today made me smile.  I will be sure to look for my own online version of Miss Mary tomorrow at the same time.  I want to get to know her better.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this. It really made me smile. I want a Miss Mary as well!

Ellie

Mary E. said...

It seems your mother said, "she goes to the Catholic Church," as something that was derougatory.

Andrew said...

Geeze, Mary E. What hell did I befall into to get you as my interogator these past few days? lol My mother is Catholic and that is why she knew Mary goes to the Catholic church!