Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Long Time Coming…

Have you ever just been excited about getting out of the bed?  So excited for what the day may bring?  That’s how I felt this morning and it’s been a long time since I’ve felt that way.  I felt so good as I stood in the kitchen making a breakfast of cheese toast and drinking my six diet Cokes for the day.  Dad is taking a day off today and says he may just let me “go” for the foreseeable future.  He thinks I am back on track.  And I think I am as well.  I just want mental wellness and savor each day I feel sane.  Each day with a peaceful mind is like the most exquisite gift from God. 

There was a cold Maggie in the bed this morning with me. On a heat induced whim, I turned the thermostat down to 78 last night.  I usually keep it on 82.  Maggie was under the covers scratching and carrying on this morning digging at her cooties.  I laughed so deeply as the covers would move wildly from her exertions and she would eventually poke her head out to see what I was laughing about.  Crazy dog.  She doesn’t miss a beat.

Dad and I were sitting in the den last night as he asked me how I was doing.  He was particularly interested in the bulimia.  I was proud to report that I am doing extremely well on that front.  I have slip ups from time to time, but for the most part, I am eating well and keeping it down.  The phone then rang while we were talking.

“Aren’t you going to answer that?” he asked as the phone rang incessantly.

“It’s just some survey,” I replied with a surly tone. “They called earlier in the day and asked for someone over the age of eighteen.  I feigned teenager to avoid the call and they said they would call back when an adult was home.”

Dad laughed. “You and your phone phobias,” he replied. “You can get things complicated just like your mother!”

The initial call caused me lots of anxiety by the way.  I hate the imposition of these calls.  I was put “on the spot” and certainly didn’t want to answer a survey about consumer matters.

Mrs. Florene also called me last night just before I was retiring to the bed.  I could tell by the special ring my phone makes when she calls.  She didn’t talk long, but wanted me to stop by today to pick up half a chocolate pound cake.  JOY!  She makes one of the best chocolate pound cakes in the South.  We didn’t talk much about George and I was kind of glad.  I miss my friend so deeply and every conversation about him reminds me of this.   

10 comments:

The New Christina said...

Glad you're doing better! Those were caffeine-free Diet Cokes, right? LOL! I actually stopped drinking caffeine a few days ago, but hubby's bring me home a regular Diet Coke! :-P

Lena said...

It is a good feeling to look forward to getting up in the morning. I think most people have to work on that one.

I read somewhere recently that we can chose which side we want to get out of bed of... you know.. the right side as opposed to the wrong side. Harder to do with mental illness, I know.

Glad to read that you are doing well and that your dad agrees.

Have a nice day today!

Sheri said...

I enjoy reading your posts, they're so positive and uplifting. They give me hope.

KathyA said...

So glad you experienced some joy in the morning (the title of a great book, by the way).
I can't stand sleeping in a warm room -- our thermostat at night is set at 68°. You and Maggie would undoubtedly freeze!

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Good Morning Mr. Sunshine!

Hope that you make today as wonderful as you want it to be!

While dad's in a good mood, remind him you need that camera fixed . . or a new one! You get such pleasure from your pictures - and do it so well!

And wouldn't it be refreshing to take a shower, shave and wash your hair?! (Nagging is my life!)

Love ya,
Grannie

Leaking Moonlight said...

I need wellness and need to savor today too. (Yesterday just about did me in.) Thank you for reminding me, Andrew. Thank you.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

So glad you had a happy morning. I hate phone surveys, too. I may have to try acting like a child next time I get one.

kristi said...

We keep our a/c set to 72 or 73. It is having a hard time keeping up with outside temps of 100 though.

Happyone :-) said...

I actually do look forward to getting out of bed each day. Maybe it has something to do with walking the first thing in the morning. I really do look forward to my walks.
There is a saying that goes,
Every day is a gift,
That's why we call it the present.

Anonymous said...

Andrew, you may be on a do not call list, or maybe you are not. I personally despise the people who call and think it is their right to impose on us. So I am on the National Do Not Call Registry. Now, if someone calls me, I promptly tell them to put me on their do not call list. It is our right to not have intruders call at their whim and our mercy. Sometimes, I get these calls, tell them not to call me, and they want to protest that it won't take long. I tell them, "Put me on your do not call list and don't call me again." And then I hang up. I don't find their calls polite, and therefore, do not feel that I owe them any politeness.