Saturday, September 12, 2009

Here's Some Eggs. Eat Up!

I was asking George this morning what would be a good gift to get his mom.  Something she usually couldn't afford.  She's done so much for me and I wanted to do something for her. 

"Get her some of that gourmet coffee," George said. "She drinks coffee all day and loves the stuff.  She won't buy the expensive coffee though."

I had ten dollars squirreled away and hoped that would be enough.  I shied away from borrowing money from George.

I was over at George's house at 7:30 this morning.  About the time he gets home from work.  Mrs. Jones had cooked breakfast like she does for George every morning.  I wasn't shy about filling my plate full of scrambled eggs and hashbrowns.  It was a good start to the day.

*****

The Great Diet Coke Fiasco...

Mom wouldn't take my calls last night.  They have caller I.D. and she could see it was me.  My mom is like her mother and will hold a grudge for months.  I wanted to nip this in the bud.  I left a message.  I groveled. 

"I love you," I told her. "I was wrong and shouldn't have said those things to you.  You are the only person who understands me and it is going to drive me crazy that you are not talking to me."

That was it.  Short and sweet.  I told Dad to tell her I love her, too.  Dad was really taking all this in; this fight between me and mom.

"How is your mind?" Dad then asked me. "Is the extra Risperidone helping?"

"My mind was going a hundred miles an hour last night this time," I told him. "Things are quiet and calm tonight."

That was a good cue for dad to give me a hug and say goodnight.  Maggie and I were soon in the bed as well and we both slept fitfully.  

3 comments:

(M)ary said...

Well, re: snapping at your mother. I hope she forgives you soon. In families, these things happen. I am sure she understands and will just need time to lick her wounds and induce a little bit more guilt out of you(cuz milking out as much guilt as possible also happens in families too!)

re: expensive coffee...ah, good call by George. $10 should be enough. Our local Kroger carries all sorts of nice coffee brands and often have them on sale. The Kroger Private Selection brand is good. They also carry Starbucks coffee in a bag. Have fun picking out a flavor.

KathyA said...

Holding a grudge is a method of control, but I'm sure you already know that. You took the high road in not only apologizing, but actually admitting you were wrong in saying what you did. Good for you!

becomingkate said...

It gets easier to aoplogize as I get older.
Hope your mom is feeling better today!