Friday, September 11, 2009

The Journey to Medicine Land...

I had an early appointment with my psychiatrist today.  When I made the appointment, I was this gibbering mess of a human being.  I was much better and more composed today. I almost canceled. 

My doctor upped the dosage of my primary anti-psychotic three more milligrams.  I am already at a very high dosage and there are concerns I am growing resistant to my medications.  I noticed my doctor dotted his i's and crossed his t's by making me sign a legal waver about my medications.  That if I developed tardive dyskenesia, a neurological disorder, I couldn't sue him for what he's worth.  

I swung by my father's pharmacy on the way home.  He was surprised I went to the doctor alone.  He was pleased that my doctor upped my anti-psychotic though.  I have taken the medication and feel almost high and giddy.  Who needs crack?

Don't worry.  This post gets interesting.


Mom told me a moment ago that I had already drank enough diet coke for the week.  She was asserting her authority and boy did it backfire. 

"To hell you're going to tell me when I can drink a coke or not, " I told her. "I am 37 years old and not some school kid."

There are 10 cases of diet cokes in mom and dad's garage.  These are for me.  I opened the garage door and stuck two cases in my Honda.

"And while you are at it," I told my mother. "You can kiss my ass."

"You can't have those cokes," mom said one last time walking out of the garage.

I drove home and now feel terrible.  Keep the peace?  Or drink the now guilt inducing cokes?  It has been one of those days.  Just a bunch of crazy people trying to have relationships that are dysfunctional at best.  

7 comments:

(M)ary said...

"Don't worry. This post gets interesting."

....that took me aback. made me laugh. i thought it was interesting from the beginning but that line made me smile.

ps...compromise? drink a coke and call your mom to apologize? best of both worlds.

C.A. said...

I concur. KEEP the Cokes. Call your Mom. Try to explain how you feel. She may get it, she may not. You ARE 37, I agree, but the "kiss my ass" might have been a little over the top.

Glad you're feeling better, friend. I always enjoy seeing that you've posted.

Hugs...

C.A.

Seth M. Ward said...

DRINK ON BROTHER! DRINK ON!

Cheryl said...

C.A. said it better than I could have. And I have to say, I was laughing by the time I finished this post. It is SO good to have you posting again. Great to hear that spunk back. I was days behind but I'm back to being caught up.

What does the weekend hold for you?

KathyA said...

Your posts are ALWAYS interesting! Yes, tellinbg your mom to kiss your ass probably was a bit over the top. All over Cokes, you say? Gee, maybe that's been brewing for a while.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

While you were 100% correct that the Cokes ARE yours - and that you are certainly old AND mature enough to decide when you need a refill . . . you might have worded it a little more gently toward your mom.

I do have to say though - at least once or twice in your life it's almost necessary to tell mom "Kiss my ass!" If for no other reason than to see her reaction. My mom came up behind me at dinner when I wasn't paying attention and dumped an entire pitcher of sweet iced tea over my head. Made me sit through dinner like that! I was ten at the time. Smart mouthed little brat is what I was!!

There is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself . . . just don't hurt other people's feelings when you do it.

Grannie

justLacey said...

Oh tell her you're sorry, it was the new meds ;) and enjoy your Cokes. I got quite a chuckle out of this one.