Sunday, August 01, 2010

A Horsefly Saturday…

  • Every Saturday Horsefly goes to the movies down in Auburn, out to eat, and then to the mall to buy a Dora the Explorer doll.  Charlie paid me to do this for him yesterday and Kim tagged along.  She thinks it is so sweet that I will do this for such a good friend of mine for his autistic son.  She said she was proud tht Horsefly doesn’t embarrass me.  I told her I was getting paid very well and we were getting a free movie and dinner.  We watched Inception which was an incredible Sci-Fi movie along the lines of The Matrix.  Horsefly usually picks the worst movie in the theater to watch so we lucked out this time.  He laughed and smiled throughout the movie belying the seriousness of the tone of the film.  Kim couldn’t help but smile along at Horsefly’s jubilation.

    Dinner at KFC…

  • Afterwards, we went to eat at KFC.  Horsefly gets the same thing every time.  The chicken finger meal with potato wedges and slaw. “Watch him carefully to make sure he doesn’t choke!” Charlie told me before we left.  “This is not helping my diet!” Kim also exclaimed as we sat and ate. “Humor Horsefly and I,” I replied with a smile.  Then it was to the toy store in the mall to buy a Dora the Explorer doll.  Horsefly probably has fifty of  these dolls in his room already with probably 100 bottles of mouthwash and shaving cream on bookshelves.

    I’m too Distracting…

  • Kim didn’t stay over last night saying I get up too early and it interrupts her sleep.  I was up at my usual 3:30am despite being off of work today.  I don’t need an alarm clock I have found.  I am up and going not groggy at all when 3:30 rolls around. 

    Calls of Consolation…

  • My father never calls me just to talk unlike my mother who calls up to six times a day.  Dad called late last night just to see how I was doing.  “H0w is the Paxil helping with the social anxiety?” he asked. “You seemed to do so well at the birthday party.”  “I am feeling very gregarious these days,” I replied.  Dad told me how much he loved me and that maybe he was wrong about everything – wrong about me.  “Men just need to work for their self esteem, don’t they?” he asked.  “Well, it helps being able to support yourself,” I replied. “It was so demeaning for me to be so dependent on you and mom.”  “I am starting to understand how you felt,” dad told me. “We just thought we were helping you! I didn’t in my wildest dreams think you could work a job regularly.”

    Harry Potter? Where are You?

  • You know what’s strange?  As much as I love reading, I have never read the Harry Potter books.  I called mom last night and asked her if she had them.  She had only three in the series.  I drove over to get them when I got my six diet Cokes for today.  I have never seen any of the movies either and plan on renting them and watching them after reading the books.  I know Annabel loved the books and she would never steer me wrong.

    Walk a Mile, Walk a Million…

  • Kim and I start a walking regimen today early this morning when it is cool.  She is determined to lose weight and I told her I would walk with her for support.  We are going to try for a mile today taking it easy.  I can easily walk 6 miles or more.  I was telling mom about this on the phone last night and she said she has a “walk in your home” DVD she wants to give to Kim to try for the days we can’t walk outside.  I told mom that was an awesome idea and so nice of her.

    The VelociRaptor Arrives…

  • My “VelociRaptor” harddrive arrived yesterday.  I drove down to dad’s pharmacy after work to pick it up.  I had Windows 7 cloned and the drive installed in an hour.  FAST!  It is just blazing fast and made much more of a difference speed wise for my computer than the quad core processor.  Everything is instantaneous with my computer now and it is a pure joy to use.  One of my biggest yearnings about starting back to work and making extra income was to get my aging computer updated as I use it so much.  Now?  Two video cards in SLI (sequential link interface).  That is going to be very expensive, though, and I will have to save a few months for it.  I am lucky I have a motherboard with PCI-express that supports SLI.  Most Dells don’t.    

11 comments:

Joe's blog said...

You like art? Please have a look at my paintings and sketches.
http://joeparthur.blogspot.com/search/label/art
I would be pleased if you like to follow my blog.
:-))))))))))
I like model railroading too as you can see in some older posts.

justLacey said...

I actually teared up on the part about your dad. I know that was hard for him to admit and the fact that he has so soon shows you he is not a bad person, just afraid for you. I always told you he meant you no harm. He was trying to protect you in his own misguided way. I made some mistakes as a parent with my oldest daughter and have found that her life is not my life to live. She has to find her own way, in her own way. She seems to be doing that now but sometimes i want to protect her and I just can't. Your father really does love you very much and what you have done over these last few weeks will make him happier as well as you in the end. It is a huge weight lifting off of his shoulders I imagine and one you are now strong enough to carry on your own now.
You are such a kind soul taking Horsefly out with Kim. I know that most people would not have done it and Charlie has been so kind over the years that it was a wonderful way to give back to him.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

You are now able to look in the mirror and see just how big a success this has all been! Even dad is jumping on board.

Wow!

Grannie

kristi said...

You are such a computer whiz. You should do computer repair on the side!
Tell Kim I have been walking for months now and feel so much better, have lost weight and inches and my blood pressure is not high anymore!

Syd said...

I am glad that your dad has started to see life through your eyes with regards to work and self esteem. That is a really good thing.

glittermom said...

my daughter and I read all the Harry Potter books...was sorry to see them end...make sure and read them in order...

Annabel said...

Yay! Glad you're going to read Harry Potter. I'm especially glad that you'll read the books before watching the movies. I think overall the movies are done well, but the books are always so much better. I re-read the series every summer.
I was also happy to read about your dad's response. I had a feeling that he would come around. The realization that he may have been wrong was probably a hard pill to swallow for him - especially for his ego. Hopefully this will get the two of you back on track.
I am just so happy for you these days - I hope it continues to go well.

Mary K said...

Your dad is adjusting. This is great!

The toy store is till open in the mall? I'm jealous. The one in the mall here closed. I have to drive to Birmingham to go to an actual Kaybee. Of course I can't complain too much. We do have Toys R Us.

I use a "walk at home program" and in the past the results were very good. They stopped being so great when I stopped walking, though. :p
But the DVD is good for when the weather is bad outside.

Tee said...

I'm so thrilled that your dad has "seen the light". He loves you and wants the best for you, but was just trying to keep you on the straight and narrow (not drinking). The best thing you have done for yourself is to change doctors. Why not ask him to back off on your mom's meds and perhaps she could see your doctor as well to see if her quality of life doesn't improve greatly. After all, he can't deny the vast improvement in you and your quality of life. I do understand him wanting to keep you on disability so he doesn't have to worry about supplementing your living expenses. I suppose you having disability is a God send for him. Just keep your Wal-Mart wages under the legal limit and you can still have your cake and eat it too.

You are so kind to take Horsefly to the movie and shopping. It was great that Kim could tag along.

You are going to love Windows 7.

You are doing GREAT! It is so much fun to read your blog these days.

becomingkate said...

I haven't read any blogs for two weeks, then come back to realize you have a GF! So glad things are going well, Andrew.
By the way, I read back a bit and saw that you'd like to do some work on the exterior of your house. If you can't put up new siding or paint, I suggest that you paint your front steps and put up a new railing. It makes a BIG difference!
Also, a few little annuals by the front step (impatiens or petunias are lovely & colourful) would look fabulous.
Happy Sunday!

doyourememberthattime said...

everything is sounding so positive. i am really pleased for you. especially the stuff with your dad. i am so glad you are doing your own thing and proving him wrong.

no, to harry potter though :)


http://doyourememberthattime.wordpress.com