Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My First Full Day of Work in Over Eight Years…

  • Disaster Almost Struck…

    I woke up at three and couldn’t get back to sleep – excited for what the day may bring.  I took my shower, ironed my khaki pants, cooked some fried eggs, and prepared a lunch of two roasted turkey and pepperjack cheese sandwiches as I listened to this morning’s milquetoast rendition of Coast to Coast AM. Today was going to be a watermark in my life – a milepost if you will.  I then put on my clothes to drive down to the convenience store to buy some Gatorade for the day.  I couldn’t find my car key and just panicked.  In my family, we have what we call the key disease where we lose our keys easily.  Until my car was stolen Christmas day a few years ago, I never took the key out of my car and never locked my house. This key disease afflicts my father, brother, and I. I have learned to keep all my keys separate for this reason – never to keep my house key, mom and dad’s house key, and my car key together.  I scoured the house looking for that key.  It was almost 30 minutes until time to be at work when I looked in the pocket of my shorts that were in my washing machine which I use as my laundry hamper when I am not washing clothes.  Found it! I sighed with relief.  I thought I was going to have to ride my bike to work and be late on my very first day of fulltime work in eight years. I am going tomorrow to get some extra copies made of all my keys as I only have one of each. 

  • My Dogs are Tired…

    I realized I am not used to standing up and walking for eight hours straight without many breaks.  I did take a thirty minute break to eat my sandwiches. One quick moment was spent in a bathroom stall sitting on a toilet as I texted Stacey a silly message under the guise that I was using the bathroom. The hilarious message I got back made me burst out laughing. My supervisor frowns upon my tendency to put an old milk crate outside to sit upon when I get tired.  This is going to take some getting used to.  My feet were just killing me when I got off of work and my back was hurting something fierce from standing up for eight hours.  This will ease up over time I am sure.  I couldn’t wait to get home and sit down in my extremely comfortable Laz-E-Boy recliner, though.  I had one task to do before retiring for the day – my day of work done except for some car troubles.

  • More Car Woes…

    The brake light came on again in my car and stayed on this time driving to work this morning.  I swung by West Point Tire after work and they hooked my car up to their diagnostic computer.  “It’s the fluid level sensor on your master cylinder,” the mechanic told me. “It is going bad.  Do you want me to replace it?” “How much would that cost?” I asked. “About $150 dollars,” he said.  “I will get back to you,” I replied.  I drove to AutoZone and they had the part in stock for $40 dollars.  I am going to install it this afternoon and hope that solves the problem.  I also bought several bottles of Honda grade brake fluid and I am going to bleed my brakes – brake fluid being very hydroscopic and the fluid in my car is probably the original brake fluid that came with the car new in 2001.

  • My Thoughts on Working my First Full Day?

    I am going to be able to make it I think.  I did very well for my first day despite the oppressive heat by around ten. I had to drink lots of fluids. I am very tired, but this will get easier with every day I hope as I get used to working fulltime again.  I put four Klonopin in my pocket this morning for work and only had to take one a few hours before I got off – feeling a little bit of anxiety from being very tired.  It was so comforting to know those Klonopin were there if I needed them, though.  They can be my crutch.  My supervisor was just overjoyed that I am going to be working fulltime from now on – lavishing me with praise and encouragement.  “You don’t know what this means to me,” she told me at one point. “It is like this great weight off my shoulders as I can rely on you!”  I blushed many times today from all the attention I received from her.  My main goal is to be independent and fully self supporting within 9 months to a year.  Working fulltime will go a long way towards this goal.  

  • On the Lawn Care Front…

    I mowed four lawns yesterday and felt so accomplished from my efforts.  The money was nice, too, going into my savings account.  Mowing lawns is so cathartic for me.  I daydream extensively as I circle the yards cutting the grass.  I have so many goals and plans for the future and it excites me as I make long circles around the yards as I think about them.  I feel so empowered these days.  My elderly lady customer who lives the block over from me wants me to come back in a day or two and trim her shrubbery back.  It badly needs it, looking wild.  I told her I would be over tomorrow when I got off of work.  My Benefactor wants me to do some painting inside his house, but I am unsure about that.  I haven’t done much painting in my lifetime and I don’t want to do him a bad job.  How hard can it be though?  He told me he would pay me well.  It is tempting, but it is going to be a big and time consuming job.  With me working fulltime now, I am not sure I can handle it.  He told me to mull it over for a few days and I will.  He could tell I was apprehensive about doing it.  Sometimes, I think my Benefactor just pays me to have someone around doing something who he can talk to.  I think he gets lonely. 

  • Socks at a Pharmacy?

    I hadn’t been home long when mom came by. She had called me on my cellphone to make sure I was there. She has an uncanny knack to know when I am about out of certain things.  She brought me a care package of Solo cups, razor blades, shaving cream, shampoo, soap, and socks?  Dad is actually selling Auburn Tiger themed ankle socks at the pharmacy now.  “I thought you may need them,” mom said enthusiastically when I remarked about the oddity of a pharmacy selling socks other than those socks sold for diabetics.  I did need them as I haven’t bought socks in over a year and many pairs I own now were getting holes in them.  I thanked mom and she went on her way to get her hair done as she does every Wednesday. She also told me she was going to go buy me some more various flavors of Crystal Light after her hair appointment when she asked and I told her I was almost out. 

  • Stacey’s Thoughts on Me Working Fulltime…

    She was very excited telling me to jump on the opportunity when I told her I would be working fulltime.  “This will get you out from under the thumb of you father!” she told me excitedly last night.  “I am so proud of you baby!”  Hearing her say that meant the world to me.  I want her to be very proud of me and to know I could support us if we ever took our relationship to another level and she needed me.  “What are you going to do with all that extra money?” she also asked me looking excited.  “I am going to try and save as much as I can while I am in the trial work period,” I told her.  “My disability money will pay for most of my basic needs for nine months giving me the opportunity to save and save.  I don’t want to ever be financially dependent upon my parents again!”  Stacey echoed my thoughts that it is important for a man to be independent and self supporting – to be able to earn a living.  I was so tired of the demeaning dependent living situation I was in for eight long years. 

  • Sleeping Habits Need Improvement…

    I’ve been sleeping for about five and half hours every night before work, but I only worked four hours previously.  I would come home and take a long nap and feel fine for the rest of the day.  Today, I got so sleepy at work missing my usual nap. I was miserable I was so sleepy when 10am rolled around! I know I looked dopey as I brought the carts in.  Somehow, I am going to have to start going to bed much earlier to get a full eight hours of sleep to be able to work fulltime.  I thought about taking a Tylenol PM around seven or eight, but they have Benadryl in them as the sleeping ingredient and Benadryl and I just don’t do very well together – me having past issues of abusing it – you can get quite high feeling off of six Benadryl.  I am going to have to make myself stay up today hoping I will go to bed earlier.  I now know what Annabel, who writes my favorite blog, is experiencing with her sleeping habits these days.  I feel her pain.  I so want to go get in the bed right now and sleep for about three or four hours!     

17 comments:

Cathy said...

Like all your new habits, sleeping all night is one you will have to work to develop. I imagine that doing hard physical labor all day will have you sleeping like a baby very soon.

glittermom said...

You need a good pair of suportive shoes if your on your feet all day..If you think this 8hr day is too much you need to go back to part-time...You can always try again , you have just started working after staying at home doing basily nothing so be careful and dont over do...

Sharon said...

Your body will adjust to your schedule eventually. As for your feet, althogh it's hot you might want to consider thicker socks. Or one of those gel insoles, just to cushion your feet some more.

geelizzie said...

Try those cheap foam insoles that they sell in the shoe dept at walmart, they help a lot. My husband is on his feet all day in big heavy work boots and he's tried all the insoles and the cheap ones work the best but don't last all that long. He's tried the ones with all the pressure points and all that crap and they just made his feet hurt even more.

Annabel said...

I talked to my doctor about my insomnia today and I'm going to try ambien and see if it gets my schedule back on track. Those naps during the day aren't good for getting to sleep at night! But I go back to "normal" working hours on Monday so I'm going to try the pills the next few days and see if I can get my body adjusted. That's the hard part about being a teacher - you get used to a different schedule in the summer.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Maybe a good pair of supportive shoes are needed. Don't skimp on them - spend a little extra money and get the good ones! If you need them for work, you can deduct them on your tax return - OMG, you'll have to file a tax return for 2010! How great is that?!

Now for your key problem. You would think that with your habit of being so organized, there would already be a designated key spot in your house! Pick a place - in a drawer - a cabinet - under a chair - behind your printer - anywhere easy to get to, but out of sight. That is THE key place. Never allow yourself to put a key anywhere else. When you step in the door, never set a key down even for a second - except in the key place! I have had to do this with myself and my husband. It took a couple of weeks to get used to, but it was worth it. We no longer have to ask each other where a key is.

Gotta run - Dixie and Rascal want to talk to me about their dinner menu. Seems that one of their friends is getting Italian dinners lately and they want me to start improving on my skills some! You wouldn't know anything about that, would you???

Love ya anyway!
Grannie

Tee said...

My husband suffers from that key disease as well. I put up a hook in the laundry room at our back door and he hangs his keys there (most of the time) so we don't have to do a hunting expedition when we get ready to leave the house.

It's tough getting back in the swing of working full time. Get you some good shoes for work. Ecco Track II are excellent shoes, but they are about $200 a pair, but my husband says they are the most comfortable shoes he has ever owned.

If your full-time works out at Wal-Mart is there a possibility you can transfer or get promoted to another department? That could be a stepping stone for career development. Join their 401K plan and take their health insurance. This is really exciting.

That Tylenol PM is wicked stuff. It makes me feel terrible. Just don't take a nap during the day so you will be sleepy when it's time for bed.

You continue to do so well.

Lena said...

Great u can try out working full time. Sounds like you are doing well between the job and your lawn care business.

You do have a strong work ethic! I bet your supervisor was so happy u agreed to work the FT schedule!

I was going to suggest insoles, as well. Foot massages will help, too! That will be Stacey's job!

emptydog said...

Sounds like it is going great for you.

My key advice: Wherever you put the key, say it out loud. "I am putting the key on the breadbox." That type of thing. It works for me.

My painting advice: Don't. Painting, especially for someone else, gets ugly fast.

Hope you have a great night.

Berryvox said...

It's so great how well your new life is going for you! :)

Mike said...

Good job on the first day of full time work! I think your body will adjust pretty quickly to the demands. I can relate to the Klonopin. I used to use Ativan (another benzo) when I went to volunteer, and eventually I stopped... but I still carried it in my pocket for a while, and it made me feel better knowing I could take it if I needed it for anxiety.

villain820 said...

Great to hear about your first full day of work! I can never remember where I put my keys ;-)

pattycakes said...

cant help you with the key thing its always in my purse and i never leave home without it lol but consider leaving it on a hook at your door when you always leave from to go to work or wherever . that way as soon as you come in plop it right on that hook then you wont have to remember which room it is in . just a thought.
you are doing so much lately im exhausted reading it lol
and doesnt wal mart have a lunch room for its employeees you better take your breaks you have coming to you or your feet might hurt so much you cant work .
and your gonna try to add mowing lawns to all that huh wow u are really energenic. lol
keep up you r good work and lots of luck . stay cook
:)

pattycakes said...

oops i meant stay cool , geez i dont want you to cook lol sorry bout that lol

Sharyna said...

I can understand key disease. I used to live in a studio and slept on a hide a bed. One day I couldn't find my purse and I frantically searched for it. An hour later, I found it folded up in my bed! I'd be careful with the Ambien or Lunestra. Both can cause sleep driving. People have been arrested for drunk driving, woke up in jail and didn't remember anything! I worry about things like that...

LDAlvarez said...

I've lost my keys too many times to count. Once found them in the freezer!
I have two sets now, one I keep in the night stand and the other on a hook inside the mudroom off the garage. I found always putting them on the hook works best for me.

Syd said...

Glad that you made it through the first full work day. I echo what others wrote that having good shoes is a must. Walking on concrete and asphalt can be a killer without good support on the feet.
You have a lot of exciting things going on in your life. That is great!