Monday, August 09, 2010

And So it Begins…

I’ve had three calls today about my lawn care business and lawns needing mowing – our recent heavy rains making everyone’s yards blossom and green up again.  My one black sister called and said she and her sister’s needed mowing, the elderly lady that lives a block over from me called, and my Benefactor just called telling me his front and back yard need cutting.  He was excited to talk to me telling me he has missed me and has more work for me to do around his home. I also need to cut my, Joyce’s, and Mr. Ed’s grass as well.  This income will put me in my 9 month trial work period if I report it and I will to be legal and honest.  These 9 months don’t have to be worked consecutively, though, so that is good for the months my income falls below $720 dollars.  Our weather has been kind of iffy lately and lawns dry up quickly without rain not needing mowing.   I am currently making $652 dollars a month at Walmart to give you an idea of how close to the trial work period I am. $70 dollars of extra income and I am in those nine months. 

I am excited to renew my business and give it a good ole Southern boy try.  The calls today urged me on exciting me to get them. I had thought my Benefactor had forgotten about me.  I’ve received several other calls this past week for business, but turned them down unfortunately afraid of Social Security and the implications involved.  Maybe my recent moxie and drive can help me start this back up again. 

Tomorrow, I am to drive down to Opelika to report last month’s income with Social Security showing my most recent paystub and I will tell the lady of my most likely starting the trial work period and what I need to do to stay on the up and up about this.  I can make as much income as I like for 9 months and still receive my disability check.  I can pay the premium for my Medicare and keep my health insurance for up to seven years after getting off disability so that is one less thing to worry about.  I hope this is a step in the right direction to getting me permanently off disability and the stranglehold it has had on me for many years. 

One of the biggest drawbacks to me returning to work fulltime was the belief that I would lose my health insurance (dad still firmly believes this) and the cost of my monthly medications was $1300.  My medications now cost about $200 dollars a month at their reduced dosages and changes, and I can afford that if push comes to shove.  I no longer get that Risperdal Consta injection which was $300 dollars every two weeks alone. I now know that I can keep my health benefits for up to seven years after getting off disability by just paying the premium.  Thanks to Clinton who passed the Social Security Disability “Work Incentives” act in the 90s.

I am scared and excited at the same time about this.  It is a big step and I had so much momentum going about my new business a few weeks ago.  I want my business to take off and support me some day – me being my own boss for once in my life just like my father.  Like I’ve said previously, I have a lot of him in me much to his chagrin.  This will keep me busy as well.  I’ve had a lot of long, boring days lately pacing the floors of my home waiting for Stacey to get off of work. I bet I’ve walked many a mile this past few weeks out of nervous energy – one last vestige of my supposed mental illness days or is it just anxiety?   There’s a lot of lawn mowing that can be done from nine to four and I am getting out there and going for it!  

11 comments:

Leanne Allen Photography said...

Well done,best of luck with the lawncare!

Annabel said...

Now is the work about based on an average per month over the course of 9 months - because there will be a time that you're not mowing lawns in the winter and not bringing in that income - so keep that in mind and find out how the total is figured - you may still be under the limit if it is averaged out.

sandra said...

Also dont forget that its NET income you report. In other words deduct all the expenses you incurred in earning the income. This includes repairs, tools and gas that you purchased. Whats left is the income you report.
My 2 cents worth...

Sharon said...

As you start earning more money, think about maybe hiring a good financial advisor (i.e. accountant) who specializes in small businesses. You may need guidance concerning any tax considerations in being self-employed.

Syd said...

Good for you. It will help to have the lawn work to keep you physically occupied and not pacing. I admire your work ethic.

Janice said...

I'm glad you are continuing with the lawn care business. It will be nice to be your own boss. I love Joni Mitchell. This is such a beautiful song!

Jules said...

HELLO Andrew (and your 100 invited guests!) Thank you for including me into the fold. As yours was the first blog I ever read, not having you there anymore would have been like ripping an apendage from my body....

I'm glad to "catch up" tonight and find you still on the path forward.

The blog feels good. I like what you've done with the place :)

stellablue said...

Yay for keeping busy with the lawn care business! I agree with the poster that said you need to subtract out your expenses (prolly at least 50% once you count gas, depreciation of your equipment etc). They may be able to give you some guidence at the ss office on how to do this. It'll be good to keep a log at home so you dont forget what you did when and for who and how much!

Glad to see everything going well! Staying busy is awesome!

Stellablue

Moonroot said...

I wondered what had happened with the lawn care business! How heartening that people are calling you up to offer work. And it sounds like word is getting round about what a good service you offer. It is so heartening to read about the continuing positive changes in your life. But please don't hesitate to share any problems too. Life always has ups and downs and in my experience it helps to share both.

Just wish you lived close enough to come and mow my lawn - it certainly needs it!

LM said...

What great advice you receive from your friends/readers.

Tee said...

A good accountant will be worth their weight in gold. You are definitely going to need one. Make sure they are familiar with SS rules as well. This is a good problems to have.