Saturday, August 07, 2010

Helen’s Pimento Cheese Sandwiches…

These are so fattening and Stacey would balk if I told her that during our picnic today.  It was always traditional in the family for my grandmother to make pimento cheese when we would go fishing at the pond, tailgating at a Auburn games, or going on church picnics.  Helen told me the recipe yesterday and some of it you will just have to experiment with as I did this morning making it – especially with the amount of mayonnaise to add.

  • Two large packages of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
  • One large jar of diced pimentos drained of their liquid. 
  • Blueplate mayonnaise added until you get your desired consistency.
  • One pinch of salt and pepper.
  • One tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.

Pimento cheese sandwiches are best on extremely fresh white bread such as Sunbeam thin or giant.  I also like to add an extra layer of mayonnaise on the sandwich after adding the pimento cheese spread.  As I said, it is very fattening, but a taste of the South and oh so good! They are good served with celery and Golden Flake potato chips. 

9 comments:

Tee said...

Oh.my.gosh! I'm going to make some of this. We love pimento cheese. Have you ever toasted them in a skillet like a grilled cheese sandwich? Yum!

Now we have cooking with Andrew, or is that Jonathon? LOL! \

I've got to get a 3x5 card to copy this recipe down.

Have fun!

justLacey said...

Yum!

Sharyna said...

Yum! Sandwiches and chips, always a good picnic food...

pattycakes said...

that doesnt sound too fattening , well maybe the extra mayo lol there is a really good mayo out there , cant tell diff its kraft free just sayin lol have a good one

stellablue said...

Will definitely experiment with this and see if I can make it with the olive oil mayo :) Thanks for the recipe! I'm on a search now for a good cucumber sandwich (benedictine) recipe.

skinny minny said...

that sounds yummy. more of a kraft mayo girl myself but still sounds yummy. I always put the extra mayo on the bread not matter the type of sandwich ( well not peanut butter ones) got to seal the moisture in don't we?
decided to give up sodas so far two days...no headaches but then I am on powerful drugs for pain due to a knee injury so..may not feel the caffiene/sugar headache.
you are sounding so completely well..alive and complete somehow...have a great day.

Summer said...

Thank you sweet pea! I'm making this today.

Syd said...

I ate them a lot as a kid. Enjoy!

themuttonfish said...

My mama and my grandmama make them almost exactly like this...but with a dash of cayenne pepper instead of worcestershire.