Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Tales of Computer Woes…

First, my new Christmas video card has started to flicker while I am browsing the web or playing music. Flick, flick, flicker. It doesn’t do it when I am in a game, thankfully, but it is aggravating to say the least. It just does it in a 2D setting. I’ve tried everything including reseating the card, changing display port cables, and trying it in my den computer. I get the same results. The only thing I haven’t tried is a HDMI connection, but I would lose FreeSync functionality. I guess I am going to have to get a return merchandise authorization from Newegg which will be no easy task as the card was ordered under my father’s account. I will just have to get the invoice and explain to Newegg it was a Christmas gift. Oh, I hate to go through all of that including shipping the card back. Whine. Whine. Whine.

Secondly, the kitchen computer is on a wireless internet connection. I normally get about 400 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up. This morning, it would only hover around 70 Mbps down with lots and lots of jitter. I’ve tried everything to fix it including different and older drivers, moving around the antenna, etc. I get the same results. I guess I will have to order another wireless adapter card to fix it – one in which I will get even much faster speeds hopefully (think AC1900 speeds).

This is all on top of two Logitech 2.1 speaker sets failing. I am having a serious bit of bad luck here at Andrew’s Casa computer wise after smooth sailing for years. I guess if these are my only problems then I am lucky. All of this can be rectified and the den computer is working like a champ so I have a surefire way to blog, knock on wood.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Hey there, Andrew. Have you tried changing all of the device refresh rates (monitor/card-driver) back down to 60 Hz, compared to the unlocked rates you might use while gaming? After making the changes, a power cycle for the display/system is recommended (in case settings are cached). Just something to try, before jumping through the hoops needed for a return. :)

Cheers,
M.

Andrew said...

The hapless computer repairman...

Mike suddenly, this afternoon, the flickering just stopped and hasn't come back. Not sure what I did, but it seems fixed for now. Whew! I was going to hate to go through the RMA process with Newegg.

Andrew

Andrew said...

It was FreeSync causing the problems. I noticed I turned it off in my drivers and the flickering stopped. Mike, you were in the ballpark as FreeSync adjusts my refresh rates of my monitor and video card and synchronizes them.

Andrew

Mike said...

Great! Glad to hear that you're back in action. Everyone likes a happy ending. :D

Regards,
Mike