Tuesday, January 08, 2019

There’s a Pimple On Me Bum…

Ah, injection time – a time where I get to commiserate with my favorite nurse in the whole wide world. I didn’t go to bed until 1am, but somehow miraculously woke up at 8am this morning. I called dad and let him know I was up and going.

“I’ll see you at the pharmacy at nine,” I told him.

“Good deal, Chuck,” he replied and we got off the phone.

I rousted Tracy from the bed after a fitful sleep and told her I was sorry but I didn’t have time to fix breakfast this morning.

“There are some strawberry Poptarts in the kitchen cabinet,” I told her. “And cinnamon rolls in the breadbox.”

I took a really quick shower and then she soon followed behind me. She had to be at work at 9am my time.

My injection went without any problems or mishaps for the most part. I sat in the lobby for far longer than usual and I could feel those old panic attack feelings creeping in. Kamath Medical was busy this morning and the parking lot was full. I was nervous for some reason. I guess there were too many needy sick people sitting with me – people who also didn’t want to wait long for the doctor or a nurse. I must’ve taken precedence as Rebecca called me back before any of the others. Most likely Dr. Kamath was running late after morning rounds at the hospital. I only needed an injection – something a nurse could handle.

Ah, small talk – a thing that used to mystify me. I get better and better at the craft. I knew to ask about Rebecca’s children’s Christmas and how it was.

“It is truly magical to kids,” Rebecca told me of Christmas. “They had a blast. It was a Lego themed Christmas this year.”

I told Rebecca that I, too, loved Legos when I was a kid. They weren’t as fancy then, though. I would have loved Star Wars Legos.

No comments: