Friday, December 21, 2018

4K Ultra High Definition Gaming Brilliance…

Well, I got to open my main present last night. I was excited and giddy with glee. I’d been waiting for this moment since September. Dad was asking me what it was and what it does. In layman terms, I said it is a separate CPU or processor that computes and processes the graphics in my computer. I needed an especially powerful card to game in ultra high definition thus the extreme cost.

I uninstalled the old drivers for my trusty old Radeon RX480 video card and then installed the Radeon Vega 64 card and my computer wouldn’t boot. The BIOS reported that an operating system wasn’t found. I panicked at first, but I expected there to be some troubleshooting. I then went into the BIOS and did a boot override on my Windows 10 partition and then everything booted up fine after that. I installed the new adrenalin drivers and we were up and running. My main concern and worry was that my power supply wouldn’t have enough current to support this card, but things are working okay. This card draws over 400 watts of power under load and I only have a 750 watt Corsair power supply. It also puts out a LOT of heat as well. I’ve got all my computer case fans running full tilt, but they aren’t too obtrusive sound wise.

It was time to test some games and I was just overjoyed at the results. I could play all my games in ultra high definition on an ultra high definition monitor with decent frame rates. Skyrim: Special Edition looked amazing and especially beautiful. It is like a whole new level of immersion.

The Critique of Christmas…

Horsefly has been really sick lately. He kept coughing sitting next to me and I would cover my mouth last night on our quest for pretty Christmas lights. I didn’t won’t the crud he had been fighting all week. He was fixated on a Disney Little Princess bowling set he carried with him.

Charlie was in fine form last night as well. We were really critiquing every one’s Christmas decorations. I love to hear my father and Charlie interact. They are just like close knit brothers. 

No comments: