Monday, December 31, 2018

My Review of My New Vega Card Published On Newegg…

A Vegan Christmas...

Pros: The install went flawlessly. I uninstalled my old drivers for my Radeon RX 480 card, closed out of windows, and then it was time to open my case. Out came the RX 480 and in went my new GIGABYTE RX Vega 64. I closed the case and booted into windows. It was then time to install the new Adrenalin 2019 drivers. This, too, went without a hitch.
Now, it was time to play some games. I had some concern as the wattage this card would draw as I only had a Corsair HX750 750 watt power supply. I loaded up a heavily modded version of Skyrim: Special Edition. The wattage draw was around 200 watts to 250 watts. The temperature of the card hovered around 75° degrees. Kind of on the warm side. Skyrim looked beautiful, though, at 4K on my Asus MG28UQ 4K monitor. My frame rates varied between 30 and 40 fps. Freesync was enabled and kept things smooth as butter.
I give this card a thumbs up for giving me playable framerates at 4K resolutions. The install was easy as pie as well. It is also hundreds of dollars less than a GTX 1080 and competes with this card frame rate wise at most resolutions. You get a lot of bang for your buck at $499.

Cons: My only issue with this card is heat. At 75° degrees normal operating temperature, you can fry an egg on the back plate. If you touch it, you can burn your fingers. I do not know if this is normal or not.

Other Thoughts: There is something magical about being a gamer and getting a new piece of hardware like this. It was truly a Merry Christmas and I will be steadily gaming till New Years and onwards.

No comments: