Sunday, April 24, 2005

Are You Crazy?

Tomorrow starts an adventure and an experiment. I am going to try living in my car for a week to see how it works. I have read tons of material about this online. There are some really good informative websites on the Internet covering this subject. I am going to try to be as orthodox as possible as if I was really homeless. My apartment will be off limits until the Monday after next.

The rear seats of my car fold flat forming a cargo area. I tested it this morning and there is ample enough room for me to stretch out in my sleeping bag. I do need to get an air mattress though as the floor is hard and uncomfortable. I will check down at Wal-Mart today.

For internet access, I will use the local county library. They have about ten computers set up through Knology cable modems that are free to use with no time limit. All you have to do is sign in and have a library card. That I already have.

I am also doubling my budget for one week only to mimic not having the expense of rent and utilities. That would give me around $200 dollars a week without those expenses. I suspect I will be eating out a lot in the upcoming week and will be using more gasoline.

My sleeping spots are already picked out and researched. I will first try a 24 hour grocery store parking lot. I also have the Georgia and Alabama rest areas on the interstate as well. I will shower at the truck stop on the Cusseta exit a few miles down the interstate.

If you need to reach me, comment on my blog. I will be checking in everyday and writing about my experiences. I will not have access to my main email account or a phone. A friend suggested that I get one of those prepay cell phones but I hate cell phones and don’t particularly like talking on the phone anyway.

Tonight will be my first night out. I hope this makes for an interesting experience for me and interesting reading for you. Good day and off we go!

No comments: