Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Gutter balls suck but such is life……

Charlie has an autistic son who is a year older than me. He bowls religiously every week and has done so for years with great proficiency. Bowling has become ingrained into his vocabulary. He is obsessive about bowling and hates to bowl a gutter ball. When he gets upset or fucks up, he screams, “EVERYONE BOWLS A GUTTER BALL SOMETIMES!” If you are familiar with bowling, bowling a gutter ball is really fucking up and getting zero points. And now to my point……

My father just called me to check on me and see how I am doing.

“I worried about you last week.” He said. “Are you okay?”

“Well, everyone bowls a gutter ball sometimes.” I replied mimicking Charlie’s son.

My father burst out laughing on the phone. The tension was broken.

“You just have to keep on bowling and eventually you get a strike.” He said after his laughing had subsided.

My father loved the analogy and told me to keep on bowling away.

No comments: