Thursday, April 21, 2005

Reflections

I am now finished with college till next fall. At the start of this process, I was all gung ho and excited. I thought college would be this fun learning experience and enlightening. I quickly realized it was nothing more than rote memorization that you quickly forgot a few weeks afterwards. I quickly became disillusioned and depressed over this endeavor. It took much more discipline that I could have imagined to make it through this tedious process. I did end up with two As and a B in biology so I did fairly well. At the end, I just tried to make college fun and didn’t participate in the “getting a good grade” treadmill.

I now realize that for me to graduate from college I will have to find a major that interests me greatly and that I enjoy. I had plans to become a social worker because I wanted to help people with mental illness and addictions. After much study and reading about the profession I no longer want to be a social worker. It is a tedious and thankless job that pays little for lots of work. My heart just isn’t in it. I am now leaning more towards a learning a useful trade such as becoming a car mechanic. I am very talented when it comes to this area. My college offers a two year degree in this area and I already have one semester under my belt that I took before I became a long haul truck driver. We will just have to wait and see. I have a long summer to mull over more ideas and come to a conclusion. Maybe after a summer break my gusto will be renewed.

___________________________________________________


Adrenaline

I was just outside smoking my pipe in the pre-dawn dark. Suddenly, several large and noisy animals came barreling through the back yard just feet away from me. They sounded like a pack of hyenas. My heart raced and the adrenaline started to flow as I could not make out what they were and they sounded ominous. They were too large to be dogs and too noisy to be deer. I quickly put out my pipe and escaped in the safe confines of my apartment. I still have no idea what in the hell they were.

No comments: