Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Relocating

More Memoirs from my Homeless Days...

I grew wary of my current camping spot and decided to relocate. I am camping on private land even though my family owns hundreds of acres nearby. I just loved this spot as it overlooked a meadow on the edge of a pine forest. It was a pristine view of the stars, sunsets, and sunrises. I was afraid I had overstayed my welcome and decided to move. I feared I would be discovered any day now.

I parked my motorcycle in a secluded spot and covered it with pine boughs. I then packed up all my gear and attached it to my big backpack and headed out down the dirt road. I hiked what seemed like miles until I made it to the millpond and a very seldom used side road. My backpack felt like it held a ton of bricks as I carried everything that I owned. It probably weighed a hundred pounds. My leg muscles burned from carrying all that stuff on my back.

My family used to own this millpond for decades. They used to grind corn into cornmeal for the surrounding farmers. It is a beautiful 30 acre pond with a stone dam and an old house beside it that houses the mill works. My grandfather’s brother sold it in the early sixties causing an uproar within the family. He sold it for $65,000 dollars when he was short on cash and it is probably worth millions today.

I stealthily hiked up the side road beside the house and made my way down into a basin that ran along side the pond. I found a perfect spot amid old growth hardwoods and pitched my tent. This place will be my new home for awhile and then I will have to relocate again. For the time being, I have a beautiful view across the pond amid gigantic old hardwood trees. The heavily leaf covered ground will make for much more comfortable sleeping.

No comments: