Friday, April 22, 2005

Bike Rides of Bliss

Early this morning I got on my mountain bike and rode down into West Point, Georgia. I traversed the bridge over the Chattahoochee River and stopped at the local convenience store. A policeman walked out and commented on my Auburn football t-shirt…..

“We are going to beat ya’ll next year!” He said goodheartedly as he laughed.

I assumed he was speaking of Auburn’s archrival Alabama. Apparently he was an Alabama fan. I laughed back and told him to have a good day and spoke a hearty “War Eagle” (our battle cry) in reply as he got back into his patrol car.

I walked in and bought a cup of coffee and a honey bun. I then sat down outside on the curb enjoying my purchase. I watched as the sun’s first light began to brighten the land and a small southern town once again came back to life for another day.

As the sun rose higher and my coffee turned cold, I climbed aboard my bike and once again made my way back towards the river. I spotted Dumpster Diving Dan busily feeding the seagulls in the parking lot beside the liquor store and headed that way. I greeted him and watched as hundreds of voracious seagulls greedily snapped up his offerings of stale bread. They squawked loudly and scrambled amidst each other in this great mass of grey and white. I then made my way home and took a long, hot shower.

What a great way to start your day with exercise and interesting moments!

No comments: