Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Congratulations Ye Catholics

I just heard on the radio that a new papacy has been established. My mother is Roman Catholic and so was my ex-wife. Apparently they elected the Cardinal from Germany and his chosen name is Benedict the 16th. Even though I am a secular humanist, I find the ceremony and history of the Catholic Church fascinating.

I called my mother a moment ago to tell her the good news.

“Mom, they elected a new Pope.” I said.

“What happened to the old Pope?” She mumbled as if in a stupor.

I burst out laughing. She was still drowsy from sleep and not thinking. I woke her up when I called and who knows how much Zanax she had taken.

“Mom, John Paul died a few weeks ago.” I replied trying to choke back the chuckles.

“Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.” She said groggily.

“Mom, have you had a few zanax?” I asked cautiously.

“Just three or was it six?” She replied still slurring her words.

“You call me if you need to go somewhere. DO NOT DRIVE!” I said emphatically.

I hung up the phone and let her go back to sleep.

No comments: