Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Border Town Antics

I just got back from visiting the local convenience just across the Georgia state line. It was complete mayhem with cars lined up everywhere. It seems the mega-millions lottery has surpassed $200 million and people are scrambling to buy tickets. Alabama does not have a lottery so all the Alabamians drive over into Georgia to buy tickets and to participate.

I personally do not play the lottery and think it is complete folly. I have never bought a ticket. The odds of winning are so incredibly small as to be laughable. The majority of the people I saw in the lottery lines were poor people and African Americans hoping to strike it rich. I over heard one lady saying she just knew this was her day. I chuckled under my breath at her naivety. Lady, save that dollar a day you spend and over your lifetime you will have a sizable amount with compounded interest. I sometimes feel as if the lottery is a tax on the poor and stupid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But the lottery is a voluntary tax and a dollars worth of dreams can go a long way.