Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Checking in……

The past few days have been crazy. I got an email from a friend asking about how I am and I realized that I have completely neglected my blog. I am very busy with the end of the semester hassles at college as several projects and research papers are soon to be due. Finals are in just a few weeks also. I have been busy writing papers and studying.

Today was my birthday and my parents gave me $100 dollars. The practical side of me over ruled the impractical side about my purchase. I decided not to buy a digital camera. It would be something that I would infrequently use and only for this blog. I bought a new Coleman hiker’s 3 man tent and a Coleman summer weight sleeping bag at Wal-Mart. I save my very expensive Kelty tent and down sleeping bag for emergencies and cold weather. I needed two cheap replacements for the wear and tear of summer camping and continual use. My other cheap Wal-Mart tent had begun leaking like a sieve and my cheap sleeping bag had bad mildew stains and smelled like a marathoner’s socks.

I have decided to forego going to summer school. I talked it over with my father and he seems fine about it. I think he was actually glad as it would save him some money in the short term as things are tight with two new car payments and a recent expensive roof replacement. The class periods during summer are 2 hours long and I didn’t think my attention span could handle that. I handle 1 hour classes much better.

I have some interesting experiments coming up that I want to try out. One involves a three week stint at living in my car. I had read tons of material on this and have decided to give it a try. I want to see how feasible it is if I ever am homeless again. I have a very succinct plan and will give it a try. I also plan to do a long, extended stint living in my tent on the land we own near Waverly, Alabama this summer. I want to see how summer rural homelessness differs from the winter rural homelessness that I experienced last year. All of this is to just keep my survival skills sharp and will be an adventure.

No comments: