Sunday, February 13, 2005

A call in the dark….

I got a call from my brother in San Diego tonight. This always excites me and I feel good that he is making an effort to keep up with me. I am fiercely proud of him and what he has accomplished. He will soon be an oncologist.

“I just wanted to know how school was going. You haven’t been following my plan of study have you?” He said as he laughed.

“Hell no!” I replied. “I don’t think I could study forty hours a week.”

“Well, I love you man and am proud of you and all that you have accomplished this last year.” He told me. “I, Jennifer, and Lilly look forward to seeing you this weekend.”

“Bro, I look forward to seeing you all as well.” I replied as a tear erupted from my eye.

“You were always the smartest one of all of us. You know that? You can do so much if you put your mind to it.” He said.

If he had been here I would have given him a big hug and had a brother bonding moment. Our simple gestures over the phone had to suffice. We went on to talk a good while about life and some of my symptoms I had experienced lately. He told me he would call in a prescription of zanax for me if I needed it. I politely declined as I felt this would be imposing on him. I then bid him farewell and got ready for bed.

It is hard to describe the warm feeling that I have right now. It means so much to me when my brother will take the time out of his busy schedule to call. He seems genuinely concerned for my well being. When we were kids, we were inseparable. We had to sleep in the same room. Everything we did, we did together. Somehow, over the years we drifted apart. My life went one way and his went the other. Now things seem to come to a full circle as our lives are once again intertwined. I cannot express how much his calls mean to me in words. I feel it would be a clumsily written treatise on our new relationship.

Well, I must head to bed and call it a night. I took a long bath upstairs in the bath tub and am wonderfully relaxed. My body has the comforting smell of Irish Spring soap and all feels clean. I also had a wonderful supper of my barbeque. I have enough left to feed an army. I think I shall go drink a glass of milk, take my depakote, and mosey towards the bed. No school books tonight but I do have an interesting novel on the American Indian in the southeast that I am reading. One more pipe and my blissfully warm covers and a good book wait. Good night and thanks for reading.

No comments: