Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Conversations with family…..

Man, it is early and I am literally up with the chickens. It is now 5 AM. I did go to sleep at 9 PM though so I got eight hours of sleep. Today will be a busy day full of work and school. It is blog now or never.

I was lucky yesterday and didn’t have to work on Monday and didn’t have my night class. I am waiting for the Piggly Wiggly to open at 7 AM so I can go buy my weekly groceries. I was lazy yesterday and didn’t do any shopping other than filling up my truck with gasoline. $14 freaking bucks for a tank of gas!!!!

Last night I was talking to my brother in San Diego about medical school and how he studied.

“Bud, how did you study all that stuff for medical school? I want to study like you did.” I asked and replied.

“You don’t want to study like I did. I overdid it.” He replied.

“How do you mean?” I asked.

“I was obsessive/compulsive and studied too much. Me, you, and Mary E. all have a little bit of mom in us.” He replied.

“How did you over do it?” I asked.

“I looked at studying as a job. I studied 40 hours a week and kept to strict, drawn out schedule.” He replied. “Studying was paramount over everything.”

“Well you did graduate with honors and made a doctor.” I replied.

“If I could do it over again, I would have enjoyed myself more and studied less. As I said, I overdid it.” He replied.

We went on to make small talk, talked about my niece, and their upcoming visit in February and then hung up the phones.

Well, I don’t think I will be studying like my brother. If I tried to study forty hours a week, I would quickly run out of things to study and things to do. I would also get completely burned out and wouldn’t enjoy college at all. It would no longer be learning and become a toilsome job that I would soon grow to despise. I think I will stick to my casual plan of learning that I am on.

No comments: